Juniper Procumbens Nana Bonsai

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MrsGreenthumbs, Sep 6, 2010.

1. MrsGreenthumbs

MrsGreenthumbs Active Member

Hi all,

I just purchased a Juniper Procumbens Nana bonsai today from a bonsai shop in my area. Its a lovely cascading style in a tall pot. Thing is the man at the shop said I could keep it indoors...hmmm...I had one of these and I kept it outside and it did fine, snow and all ( protected it by burying it and mulching). Now I live in a flat that has a very nice balcony that faces east and I want to put it there all year round. He told me to keep it in a cool room in the winter. Every book I have read says these tree must live outside. Now my hubby got wind of this and wants me to keep the tree indoors. I can just see the heating kill the poor thing. I plan on putting it in a pot of soil for the winter to protect it. My question is am I right that these tree's need to be outside??

Thanks tons!
    Mrs.Greenthumbs :)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, not likely to enjoy long-term residence in a normal indoor living situation.

3. MrsGreenthumbs

Thank you Ron B :) Now that I have slept on it I ascertain that perhaps he was trying to boost his sales thinking that the tree would die and I would come back for another one. I have seen this happen in two countries sadly enough. I know it sounds cruel but he must have thought I know nothing about bonsai. I did argue the point with him saying that it was a outdoor specimen but he would not listen. Must have thought this old lady was a green horn lol!! Anyway it got a good misting this morning and a nice drink :) And here it is..

Mrs.Greenthumbs

Attached Files:

4. Hito

Hito Member

I am a newbie on this forum and am amazed by what I have learned already. Bonsai is something that interests me and would love to have some outdoor plants as well as indoor. Very heartening that this plant will survive an Ontario winter.

Hito

5. MrsGreenthumbs

Welcome Hito :)

Properly protected and kept out of the wind these trees or bushes :) will survive. Some years ago we had a heavy snow fall and my bonsai was buried. I got out there and dug with my hands to find it. There it was snug as a bug in a rug! The snow helps with insulation. I removed the snow from top to pervent the branches from breaking under the weight.

Agian Welcome and Happy Gardening :)
    Mrs.Greenthumbs