Appreciation: Jasarum steyermarkii and/or Montrichardia arborescens?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by gahardy, Aug 5, 2014.

1. gahardy

gahardy Member

Hello, my name is Gary A Hardy and I live in Victoria, BC. I am a lover of Aroids, especially the growing of Marginals and Epiphytes, and I am looking for what appears to be the impossible.

Does anyone know of anywhere I might acquire tubers or any form for that matter, of Jasarum steyermarkii and/or Montrichardia arborescens that are in or could be brought into Canada?

I have asked this questions in several place over the last couple of years with no success but I have not given up.

Thank you for reading.

2. Charles Philip

Charles Philip Active Member

I don't know if anyone else uses "A-Z encyclopedia of Garden Plants" but both those plants were not in the book. While we were at it can anyone recommend a better book?

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Google.

What is the copyright date of your book?
    Just looked at the IAS 'The Genera of Araceae' poster on my door---both these genera appear upon it. Copyright 2012.
    Taxonomy gets updated/changed so frequently that it is difficult to stay current. Plants are reassigned and renamed.
    Perhaps these genera are recent designations (pre-2012, clearly) made after your book was printed. ?

4. gahardy

gahardy Member

Any book on Araceae is out of date before it is published. Here is a link to an up to date classification of aroid genera: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Araceae_genera.

Jasarum contains only the 1 species and was first recorded in 1975. It has a restricted range in eastern Venezuela and western Guyana. It is the only fully submerged growing (except for the spath that reaches above the water surface) aroid in the new world. It is closely related to Caladium and has evolved to grow submerged instead of going dormant in the dry season as the Caladiums do.

Montrichardia contains 2 species and was first recorded in 1875. Montrichardia arborescens is a large shrub-like (to 9') aroid that grows in large masses along the banks of waterways, with it's roots in the submerged soil. It is found throughout northern South America.

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

6. gahardy

gahardy Member

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Probably ultra rare in cultivation mate

8. gahardy

gahardy Member

Well I think that is the point. This I know is very true about Jasarum steyermarkii, though there are people working with Montrichardia arborescens, but the one supplier I could find does not "ship this plant to Canada". I just keep hoping someone out there has a line on acquiring tubers or seeds of these magnificent aroids.