Japanese snow fountain tree not flowering

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by tritonx, Apr 27, 2013.

1. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I planted a Japanese snow fountain tree two years ago. Last spring it didn't bloom, but I thought it just needs time. This year it has flushed out beautifully in green, but no blossoms again. The tree seems completely healthy, has grown since planted and foliage is dense. It's a pretty tree by foliage and drooping character alone, but naturally I'd like flowers. It's in a well drained, sunny, south facing spot. There's no lack of water in our climate (Sunshine Coast) and the tree shows no signs of stress from last summer's dry stretch or winter damage. I don't see any signs of disease or insect attack. Flummoxed in Sechelt.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe something is eating the flower buds. Not usual here but they do have a problem with finches eating buds in Britain. Otherwise your tree will probably bloom again at some point soon. Cultivar is 'Snofozam', search with that name for well targeted hits.

3. tritonx

tritonx Active Member

I've looked closely at the growing tips, just in case there's a bud in there somewhere that might come out at some point, however, nothing. You'd think if it was an insect, some buds would escape except there's not a single sign of a bud anywhere. Thanks for your response. I'll try searching with the proper name.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Snow Fountains is trademarked name used to sell 'Snofozam'.