Japanese Maple in Full Sun

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Rosslyn, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Worldly_Wrangler

Worldly_Wrangler Active Member

@Connor Sullivan Did you go to a local nursery or mail order? I live in Central Washington, so if you have some good nurseries you can tip me off to, I might make a weekend trip.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Connor Sullivan likes this.
  2. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

Gossler Nursery in Springfield Oregon, you can cruise the tents yourself! I don’t like to use mail orders, only for stuff that’s really hard to find.

Sam from Eastfork Nursery in Vancouver Washington is awesome too! I got a a lot of good stuff from her in person 2020.

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @Connor Sullivan. Your trees are just beautiful! I have a Seiryu about 20 years old but it's not nearly so compact as yours so I wonder if you prune your tree? Or is the fact that yours is growing in full sun account for its dense crown?

Here's mine last October. I've often wondered if I ought to cut back one of the branches on the right since they are so close together or if I should just let them decide for themselves.

Attached Files:

4. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Margot: What's the height and width of your Seiryu?

5. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I mixed up my threads and posted in the wrong one! I thought this was the shopping list 2022!!! Oops!

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It is at least 15 feet tall and wide. I should probably have allowed more space for it but didn't know when I planted it that it would grow so large. Now it's getting in the way of other trees but I'll take them out to make room if necessary. It would be good to prune it a bit however if for no other reason than to create a slightly more dense crown.

Here is a picture of the 2 competing branches. Although you can't tell from this photo, the one on the left is starting to grow more horizontally while the one on the right is growing more vertically. Perhaps I should leave the one on the right and cut the one on the left back to an upward pointing smaller branch. What do you think?

Acer 'Seiryu' showing potential pruning cut.jpg

SLR2009 likes this.
  7. ceriano

ceriano Member

Nice find! A couple of months ago I found some very nice b&bs for $120 bucks! They were marked down from $600. Late fall is a good time to shop nurseries

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Real bargains, well done @ceriano. Hope you can post photos when they are in Spring leaf.

D

9. ceriano

ceriano Member

New addition, coral bark on the left and a Seiryu on the right. I planted them a couple of weeks ago. Is it ok to do some minor pruning? They have lots crossing twigs that need to go. Not planning on cutting any major limbs at this point.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Very nice. You can do some pruning now as they seem to be still in bud only. But if they are leafing out, then leave until the Summer.

ceriano likes this.
  11. vbx

vbx Active Member

What zone are u in?

ceriano likes this.
  12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Zone 8 Can't see you having a problem really, both are good reliable trees especially the Seiryu this will take heavy pruning in it's stride.

ceriano likes this.
  13. Geezer840

Geezer840 Active Member 10 Years

Karalyn, I recently moved to Meridian ID and am in a new community with very little existing shade. Do you have any success finding varieties that do well in this area? I would appreciate any advice.

14. Acerholic

Just thought I would mention that Karalyn hasn't had any activity on the forum for many years. So you probably won't get a reply. Didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

15. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

Here is my closer look at the seiryu. We have two of them, both the same age at 42 years old now. One in the container and one in the garden
    Perfect tree for a sunny or shady spot

Cattwooduk, Margot, D97x7 and 2 others like this.
  16. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

The very sunny and dry air of winter is extremely difficult for Japanese maples.
    IMHO, you'll need to keep them in containers and bring them into an unheated garage or basement OR build a cold frame.

Otto Bjornson, Acerholic and AlainK like this.