Japanese (Emperor 1) Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by TT0RQ0, Jul 17, 2006.

1. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 Member

I am a novice gardener and planted a Japanese Maple (Emperor I) purchased from a nursery 16 days ago and am worried about the leaves that seem to be dying up. It starts with the tips of the leaves looking dry (possibly burnt) and gradually expands to the whole leave; I live in Central Illinois and planted this tree two weeks ago.

I followed the instructions given by the nursery and planted it using an organic compose called Earth Grow (it was mixed at a 50/50 ratio, (50% original soil with 50% Earth Grow)). First week instructions were to water it every day not letting the root ball get dry which I did. Concerned about possible over watering I purchased a moisture meter and keep it at the base of the tree and watch it closely to maintain the scale in the moist zone. I did not utilize any fertilizer and the tree was planted on the east side of my deck. It gets morning sun until approximately 9:30 at which time it is shaded by two cotton wood trees until 1pm, then it then gets full sun. The tree is 4 feet tall.

I was researching my problem on the internet and decided my problem may be direct sun even though everything that I have read indicates the tree is tolerant to direct sun. To help eliminate this problem I purchased an arbor and covered it with a shade fabric which has eliminated the direct sun boring down on it until it is established. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I know its been only a few days since I shaded it with the shade fabric and may be panicking for nothing but it doesnt seem to be coming out of it. While on a golf course over the weekend approximately 20 miles from my home I saw a tree just like mine but more mature and it was in direct sun and the leaves looked perfect.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Most J. maples prefer light shade and less water - I have no idea what 'earth grow' is but it may be too 'rich' for a maple, which likes sandy soil that drains fast. It may also be that it's a really bad time of year to be planting deciduous trees, and the general shock could be affecting it (as might the sun), so give it more time.

3. graftedmaplecollector

graftedmaplecollector Active Member 10 Years

Probably not a good idea to plant it in the middle of july either. Kinda warm out there.

4. shelli

shelli Active Member

I too planted a new *** Maple this spring. I planted it in late April and it did fine for 2 months until 2 weeks ago when the leaves started to dry up. Within the past 5 days ALL of the leaves have dried up, but from everything I've read (and have been told here) it's likely the tree will bounce back. So, it's possible that you didn't do anything wrong with your planting technique (other than timing), but it could be weather shock. I think you've had similar weather to us this spring.. lots of rain and cool temps for May and June and then heat and sun in July. I'm going to make sure mine stays evenly watered during this heat spell and then hope for the best when the weather moderates. I did read somewhere that maples actually protect themselves from heat and drought by dropping leaves. It reduces the stress on the tree if it doesn't have to hydrate all those leaves. Keep your fingers crossed, I will too.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hot and dry conditions unfavorable, in hot climates some shade desirable for these unless a site is kept cool in summer by steady rains, copious irrigation of a large area or proximity to open water. Sun from 1PM on gives plenty of exposure during the hot part of the day.

Liberal amending of small planting holes also does not work. You want an even soil texture throughout rooting area. Especially when dug out of heavy claylike/silty soils, pockets of heavily amended soil are apt to have problems with water being whicked away by unamended soil around them during dry periods, as well as water being shed into them and collecting during wet weather.

Daily watering may be a problem, depending on how fast original rootball is losing water to heavily amended backfill around it at this time, and what excess water is doing. Japanese maples want a constant moisture supply, without significant dry or wet periods. If daily watering is producing a puddle at the bottom of the planting hole trouble may be on the horizon.

6. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 Member

Thanks for your help.

Avery

7. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 Member

Thanks for your help, Earthgrow was just an organic compose the nursery suggested that I use. Based on what "Rob B" replied I seem to have made a few mistakes.

Avery

8. TT0RQ0

TT0RQ0 Member

I'm learning, next time I plant anything I'm going to research this site first. During t5he time I planted the Maple I also planted: 3 "Compact Burning Bushes", 1 "Annabelle Hydranda", 3 "Purple Sand Cherry's", 2 "Miscanthus Maiden Grass", 4 "Golden Vicry Privet's", 2 "Lavender Chiffon Hibiscus" and a "Bud's Yellow Dogwood", all of them are doing well.

Avery