Japanese citrus

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Gregn, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

I have been hoping someone would have replied on a thread I started on the citrus forum
    but just in case - I thought I would try here. Does anyone know of anybody growing Japanese citrus outside here in Greater Vancouver? I would like to hear of your experience. I have 2 extremely hardy varieties (hardy to -13c to -15c) namely Sudachi and Yuzu which are used in Japanese cooking. I have seen Yuzu in the Japanese markets but never Sudachi. These are likely hybrids of the Ichang Papeda which is a true citrus and is hardy to -19c. The Papeda is grown for ornamental purposes. I also have several types of Japanese Satsumas.

Greg

2. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

i dont know much of citrus tree care. i'm no help to you here. check out michael dirr's book on tree care. Dirr's book on hardy shrubs and trees for starters. it's the ultimate field guide. good luck!

3. Gregn

My sudachi has bloomed - and still blooming I have a couple of marble sized sudachi on some small trees. I probably wont plant outside this year. I will advise as to how it goes with the fruit and what it tasts like come harvest time - around late September.

Greg

4. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

I don't know about the temps there, but Poncirus trifoliata (Japanese Bitter Orange) will reputedly survive -20c.

5. Gregn

Thanks for the note...Yes the poncirus Trifoliata does very well here in the Vancouver area. However they are very rare and hard to find - if not next to impossible. I have 3 growing outside ( we are a zone 8 in greater Vancouver) well worth adding to any garden.

Greg