Japanese Bloodgood

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Scottkean, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Scottkean

Scottkean New Member

My Japanese Bloodgood is losing all of its seed I'm in zone 5B Newfoundland Canada it seems like every year they drop around this time July wondering if those seeds would be viable or what my problem is

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Cut though some seeds. If they are empty it is because there is no embryo = flowers were not pollenated.

maf likes this.
  3. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Wouldn't that just mean the flowers die and fall off in spring? That's what happened to my Aconitofolium.

4. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I have rubrum, grieseum, circinatum, shirasawanum, japonicum, platanoides, and many cultivars of palmatum. Not all make flowers, but those that do always make samara. I've observed that the sterile samara are dropped all season long. Viable seed, though, tends to only be dropped in fall. I've not observed flowers being jettisoned, though it probably also happens. I just pay that much attention to the process.

Regardless, cut seed in half --> inviable seed is hollow. Very few of my trees produce viable seed, but my circinatum produces viable seed prolifically. I think a Green Cascade is its pollinator, but it is just a guess. There are no other vine maples within 4 blocks of my home.