Issues On Pine Shoots

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by fredmcain, Aug 1, 2019.

1. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Group,

I planted about four ponderosa pine seedlings and four small Jeffrey pines this past spring (2019) here in northern Indiana. They look GREAT. Or, did until about a week ago. I noticed that the new buds or shoots for next years season got some globs of pitch on two of the Jeffrey Pines. Then last night I discovered it on a couple of the ponderosa pines as well. I am suspicious that there might be some kind of a boring insect at work here.

I "Googled" for "pine shoot borers" and turned up all kinds of pictures on Google images but I found nothing that looked like my symptoms here.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Remember, the shoots that grew this year look good but its on the buds for next year where this is occurring. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Fred M. Cain,
    Topeka, IN

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Some photos may help to identify, what's up with your pines. I hope, that there are no pests, but pitchy buds, that are characteristic to the species. I have seen only few Ponderosa Pines, but even the description of the species (for instance Estonian Wikipedia article about Ponderosa pine) notes, that its buds are very pitchy. Jeffrey Pine is a close relative to the Ponderosa Pine, maybe they share the same property of buds.

3. fredmcain

fredmcain Active Member

Thanks, Sulev! I hope you're right and there is really no problem. I Googled for "Pitchy Buds On Ponderosa Pines" and for "Pitch on Ponderosa Pine Buds" but turned up nothing. The closest thing I found was on a Sylvestris tree here: Stock Photo - Scotch pine, Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris), liquid pitch on buds, Germany That kinda looks like it except the pitch is down closer to the buds and has hardened. Could it be that this is just part of their hardening process as fall approaches and there really is no insect involved?

And yes, Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines are very closely related and were at one time considered by taxonomists to be merely different varieties of the same species.

Just wondering,
    Fred M. Cain,
    Topeka, IN

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

That pitch on your linked photo is just a natural protection, a healthy pitch, no sign of any damage there.
    Estonian Wikipedia article about the Pinus Ponderosa: Kollane mänd – Vikipeedia
    There, in the section 'Botaanilised tunnused' [Botanical description] is: "Pungad on munajad, punakaspruunid, väga vaigused, kuni 2 cm pikad." [The buds are ovate, reddish brown, very resinous, up to 2 cm long]. My hardcover Dendrology book says about ponderosa buds: "Pungad suured, teritunud, vaigused, soomused hoiduvad eemale." [Buds large, pointed, resinous, scales apart].
    I suppose you must not worry too much.