ISO Large Rhododendrons (x10-12)

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Milla Fipke, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Milla Fipke

Milla Fipke New Member

Hi All,

I am on the hunt for 10-12 large Rhododendrons, all of the same variety, 4-6’ height. Preferably white or pink blooms but others may work, excluding yellow as the client dislikes yellow flowers.
    We have installed Rhododendron chartophyllum/yunnanense with small leaves and white flowers which the client was happy with. Price isn’t a problem for the client as their priority is the health and fullness of the plants. The site is in West Vancouver but we can arrange shipping from nearly anywhere if required.

Please let me know if you have a nursery or possible leads on where I could find these. We are open to importing as well if needed.

Thank you,

Milla Fipke

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

One possibility is contacting the Vancouver Rhododendron Society. Depending on how fast you need them, there will possibly be some available as people sell their properties and want to have their rhodos at least preserved elsewhere.

I know there is also a rhodo nursery on Vancouver Island near Comox, hmm hmm. That'd mean contacting the North Island Rhododendron Society -- as I can't recall the name.

3. Milla Fipke

Milla Fipke New Member

Thanks Daniel, I'll definitely get in touch with both.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Personally, I'd be very surprised if you'd find members in a rhododendron society with 10-12 large rhododendrons, all of the same variety, 4-6’ height that they want to sell.
    Someone might know of growers who do so it's worth a shot.

Here are the rhodo societies on Vancouver Island, north to south.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

British Columbia Landscape and Nursery Association Search Results for Rhododendron
    Rhododendron - BCLNA

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  6. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Most Rhodo fans consider planting multiples of the same plant as a waste of time and space (a sort of horticultural stuttering), so the chances of anyone but a commercial nursery having that many of any one plant is going to be minimal.

One friend had planted around a dozen Cunningham's White and sked me what I thought. I was carefully non-committal.

Having said that I don't know anything about your garden plans and you may have a very good reason to want a large number of the same plants, and if so, you best bet will be to contact the nurseries. As your message was posted some months ago, hopefully you found what you wanted, but if not I suggest contacting one of the larger growers like Cedar Rim and tell them what you want - they should be able to acquire what you need early next Spring.

7. Milla Fipke

Milla Fipke New Member

Hi Bill,

thanks for following up, we actually were successful in our search through Art’s Nursery. It was for a high end residential client in North Vancouver and they’re very happy with the outcome.

best,
    Milla

Daniel Mosquin likes this.