Iris disease?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I am reviving a garden that was neglected for many years. Lots of irises had survived in the long grass and three years ago, I gathered them and planted them together. Last year they bloomed for the first time. They are a bearded iris, with dark magenta lower petals and light magenta upper petals. The above is to explain why I do not know their name.

The disease: Last summer I noticed that the leaves died back very early starting with small light circles on the leaves that darken as the whole leave withers. This year, the dying of the leaves has started even earlier so that by the time the flowering was over, the bed is very unsightly, withered leaves more prominent than healthy leaves and even the new growth quickly getting circles.

I suspect lack of water may contribute to this condition. My garden is on Gabriola Island and this year in particular, we are rebuilding the house so the well was disconnected for over two months from April to just a week ago. May was a very dry month. I borrowed water from my neighbour for newer transplants, but left the irises to fend for themselves.

My question is, are my irises only suffering from lack of water or are they affected by a disease? If you know the disease, I would appreciate advice on controlling it.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

It sounds like water might be an issue with your irises, but there are also many disease possibilities. If possible, please take a photo of your plants and send it to us, or just send a detailed description of the problem (the symptoms you described are common among several iris diseases and we would like to narrow down the search). Thanks for your question.