ID unknown

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Maru, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Maru

Maru Member

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help. I've been growing these from the tiny "leaves" (they came in pairs, I think; I'm not very certain though because this was 9 months ago) that were falling off a mature plant. The mature plant was about 3 feet tall.

I'd be interested to know the name of this plant so I can read more specific info about it.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think your plant may be Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Take a look at this thread:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=6765&highlight=mother+thousand

The plant in that post has rounder leaves than typical. Your plant looks like a Kalanchoe daigremontiana that has not been getting enough light. You will know right away if this is the plant, because the way it produces little plantlets from the leaf margins is unique, but the plant does vary in form a bit.

If that is the one, you will find lots of posts about it on the forums, by using the Search function.

3. Maru

Maru Member

I did a search for Kalanchoe daigremontiana and taller versions of it seem to resemble the mature plant I saw before - narrower more pointy leaves. I'll have to get back to that mama plant (if I can find it in the campus greenhosue) to refresh my memory about where I got those baby leaves.

Thanks!

BTW, I'm glad I came across this forum. I like plants and have lots and lots of them (relative to the tiny size of my bachelor suite). I usually buy my plants off the shelf or grow them from cuttings which means I usually don't know their names. I've since identified 5 of my unknowns since I came across this forum. Like it! Thank you!

4. mysteryplantquestion

mysteryplantquestion Member

Hey---take a look at this post of mine and tell me whether this looks anything like the mama plant of yours. Your plant looks very very similar to mine, when it's a baby.

5. civicsinister

civicsinister Member

I agree with the first reply. I am an undergraduate student working in a Biology department and was growing a few Kalanchoe daigremontiana within my dormatory. They weren't getting enough light, and eventually toppled over under their weight... the leaves were mostly rounded, and the serrates were not quite as developed as the mature plants they came from. Hope this helps :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  6. Adam

Adam Member

Alton, Illinois, United States of America
    I am almost certain that that is a kalanchoe daigremontiana (I have a few), also known as "Mother of Thousands", "Mexican Hat Plant", or "the Devil's Backbone". First, its stem looks just like the stem of my kalanchoe daigremontiana. Second, the leaves look as if they are becoming serrated and roughly triangular. I also agree with the first reply, and believe that you should give it more light. If, after a while, its leaves turn dark green, become wider and more triangular than they already are, and become serrated down the entire length of each one of the leaves, then you can be almost certain that it is a kalanchoe daigremontiana. This website might help.