Identification: ID help!!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by piazolla, Apr 9, 2005.

1. piazolla

piazolla Member

Dear green enthuasiasts,
    this is definitely the forum I was looking for. I was given a seedling by a routine overseas traveller, who picked the plant somewhere in the tropics but could not remember where (Asia?). After pampering it for ca. 4 years now I still enjoy this exotic very much. It is quite robust and even more fertile (frequently self-pollinating): seeds originating from tiny white flowers pop around the whole living room and germinate effectively when finding an appropriate substrate. As you (hopefully) can see on the attached photos, the plant has pentagonal stem and branches. Meanwhile I have supplied friends with offshoots of this amazing plant, which do equally well and easy. Unfortunately, I have never found out its name (likewise, I have never seen it in a botanical garden). Does anyone have an idea?
    Many thank's

Attached Files:

2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It looks like it might be a Euphorbia.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think we have seen this plant before. See this earlier thread on Euphorbia leuconeura.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It does look like a Madagascar Jewel. Apparently Euphorbia lophogona, Randramboay, is a similar looking plant but is less common judging by the number of Google hits.

5. piazolla

piazolla Member

Dear friends,

thank you very much for the help in identifying this fascinating plant. Yes, I am pretty much convinced now that it is an Euphorbia leuconeura or "Madagascar Jewel". Sorry, I forgot to mention this improtant detail of milky sap, which already makes it a candidate for Euphorbiaceae.
    I started some datamining in the Internet immediately to learn more about this plant and I came across a German research article, which analyzed the toxicity of the sap (see the link below with additional citations of original articles in English). Although it is known to be poisonous, I would like to warn all keepers to handle the plant with care, as the sap contains pretty much of those terpens called ingenols, which have a strong tumor promoting activity and may diffuse through the skin. So I learned to better wear gloves when handling it and to keep it away from children!
    Interestingly, it is said that the plant is a natural and close relative to the popular poinsettia (flower of Christmas).
    By the way my plant does not need full sunshine to proliferate. It grows well in a shady (yet bright) place.

Sorry, if this information was redundant to the professionals. And not to be mistaken: despite of some precautions for handling, it is a very enjoyable and grateful green plant. Try to get seeds!!!

Thanks again and greetings from Berlin, Germany

http://www0.gsf.de/biop/aktuelle_berichte/archiv/weihnachtsstern.html

6. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Piazolla,

Great info that you have shared. Thank you so much! I hope you don't mind me mentioning this, but I do hope you have something waterproof under that clay saucer. I damaged a wood floor with a clay saucer.

Newt

7. piazolla

piazolla Member

Hi Newt,

ha, ha, you made the point, unfortunately a couple of weeks to late. So my neighbor below already complained about some growing water spots at the ceiling. Therefore, I learned my lesson empirically and the plant I have photographed already stood on a plastic saucer.
    Luckily, my neighbor reacted mildly, perhaps because I regularly water her plants when she is on vacation.
    Anyway, thanx for the very true comment concerning terracotta saucers.

piazolla

8. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Oh, Piazolla!! Wish I'd seen it earlier. Hope you didn't do too much damage. Thanks for letting me know.

Newt

9. kimsu

kimsu Member

I have tried to find a webshop that sells Euphorbia Lophogona 'Randramboay' seeds, but not succeeded. I appreciate all help you can offer. If someone has it at home I'd like to know experiences of it, if it is easy to take care of.

10. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Le Jardin Naturel has Euphorbia lophogona plants in their catalog and seeds for other euphoribias. You may want to e-mail them for availability of Randramboay seeds.