Identification: Huge,wide leaves on a....Spider plant?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by riptidefrog, May 6, 2007.

1. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

In january i received a container of spider plants from a friend that passed them along to me after getting them from another friend. These plants all came in a used yogurt container in plain water. They were all green in color and all had similar foilage except for one.

This one was also solid green but the leaves seemed very glossy and a bit more fleshy......almost more wet. Like they contained more water. These leaves were the same width and the same thickness and length (about) as the other plants.

I planted all the others together and some are now putting off little spiders of their own that my cat is systematically chomping once they reach a certain length and thus his attention. But the one with the glossy leaves i planted alone and it has really taken off.

I am trying to attach some pictures so you can see it. It is much larger than the other spider plants that i have and the leaves are very wide, the newer ones are wider than my lime draceana. The newer leaves have developed varigation (sp) with green remaining on the edges and white patterning in the "vee" of the leaf in a way i am unfamiliar seeing in spider plants.

It hasnt pupped yet so i am wondering if this is even a spider plant at all. Considering the size of the leaves i'd think it might actually be a dracaena if i didnt know better. These leaves arent tough like a dracaena though and i think they would damage easily.

I am holding up a quarter right on the leaf in the photo so you can gauge the size.

Is this really a spider plant? If not does anybody have any idea what it could be?

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that isnt a spider plant .. it is a corn plant .. Dracenea (sp) a lemon lime i do beleive .. it will just grow to a talk stalk . it will not branch out like a spider at all..

Marn

3. riptidefrog

Honestly the leaves are too tender to be a dracaena. I'm almost positive

4. riptidefrog

Here is my Dracaena

Attached Files:

5. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

6. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

Marn, I think you should believe riptide frog when he says it's not a Dracaena. What he says about the tenderness of the leaves and their semi-succulent feel makes the plant most unlikely to be a Dracaena. Besides, I can see a hint of bluishness on the leaf underside, and the leaf tip taper is wrong for dracaenas.

It looks likely to be a Chlorophytum of some sort. I have seen at least three different variegated cultivars of C. comosum (the common Spider Plant) but don't recall their names, and I think one has rather this coloring. Or it may be another species.

p.s. I only refer to riptidefrog as "he" because that appears to be a male arm in the photo!

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  7. riptidefrog

I have been searching for spider plant photos on google but have yet to see one that is as robust as the one in my pic. Maybe i'm just that good eh? JK! I do have a variegated spider but its tiny in comparison.
    And yes i am a man.

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Seems to me that by now we should know...if the plant has sent out stalks bearing 6-petaled white flowers and made "babies"---yep, it's a spider plant.
    Sure has a spider-y look. Maybe riptidefrog is correct in saying he's just that good!

9. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Would need to see the plant in bloom to be able to ID it.

The genus Chlorophytum is now a large one and several species are now finding their way into cultivation.

There are also several species in the Commeliniaceae and the Bromeliaceae that have foliage similar to your plant.

10. SweetSomebody

SweetSomebody New Member

It's called an " Hawaiian Spider plant"
    Chlorophytum comosum 'Hawaiian' (Spider Plant)

Really nice give aways!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2021
  11. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This ID probably comes very late in terms of this thread, but I have one of these, just got it last year some time. I'm not sure I knew the name. I just wanted something like a dracaena that would keep its low shape. I was very happy to see this ID. Thanks.

12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Here is my Chlorophytum comosum 'Hawaiian'. I'm really posting this so I can find the name again.
    The only pages I could find on this are vendor sites. This one has the most information:
    Hawaiian Spider Plant ( Chlorophytum comosum ) - 1 live plant ~gemsandstems.info~ (ecrater.com)
    I have read on two sites that the leaves start more variegated, then turn mostly green as they age. It's nice to know that mine aren't complaining about lack of light. I also see that these don't like to dry out. This one seems to be in too small a pot. It dries out a lot. I'm not a very attentive care-giver.
    Chlorophytum comosum 'Hawaiian'_Home_Cutler_20210415_205434.jpg