How to overwintering 'Encore' azaleas indoors?

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Robert St-Jean, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Robert St-Jean

Robert St-Jean New Member

I live in zone 4b and have two potted 'Encore' azaleas that I would like to overwinter indoors. Can you recommend which of these two methods would be the best? I'm thinking either in a corner of the basement that gets subdued light with a temperature between 18C-20C all winter, or in a root cellar that gets to a temperature between 8C-10C all winter while using a small LED light on a timer? I'm thinking this last possibility might simulate the winter climate they would encounter in their natural environment outdoors better while the first possibility might be too warm for them to get a proper winter's rest?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Robert St-Jean

Robert St-Jean New Member

Thanks, I checked their website and they recommend around 16C-20C which happens to be like my basement in the middle of winter and at least 6 hours of natural light. Seems kind of warm but maybe it is more of a day length than temperature basis for dormancy as long as not too warm. I will contact them to see what they say.

Rob

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it does seem high to me, but if that's their recommendation...