How to germinate Tamerind seed

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Hendrik, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Member

Hi All

What is a Tamerind tree and how do i germinate the seed , the seed is still in the pods.
    # Must i let it dry first ?
    # Can the tree take some frost ?
    # What is it's botanical name ?

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think once you correct your spelling, a search engine will help answer some of those questions: [GOOGLE]tamarind[/GOOGLE].

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Member

Thank you, that was the spelling that I got with the seed !

4. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

I have germinated tamarind seeds indoors, but they have difficulty growing on. Which is not surprising, as they are used to warm temperatures and plenty of sun - their natural habitats are the semiarid hot regions of Africa. Mature trees have been known to tolerate slight and brief periods of frost, and slight dips of the temperaute to -1 to -2 C.

5. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

They don't like frost, unless you have the hybrid variety, even then they can take -1 at the most, but for only short periods.
    Also I believe the hybrid variety has a sweeter fruit, but as with both types that I know of, you'll end up waiting 7-8 years before you see any fruits.
    This company carries the seed for the hybrid variety
    www.jungleseeds.co.uk

6. bluetiger

bluetiger Member

I just started germinating my tamarind seeds today. I looked on many websites about growing them but if anyone can give me some good first hand information from experience I'd love it. I've read a lot of conflicting information regarding how much if any direct sunlight, watering, and frost tolerance.....so if anyone wants to share.....

thanks

7. winnp

winnp Member

bluetiger, any chance you've got anything to share now that it's been more than a year? I am germinating some tamarind seeds I got from an ancient tree in the US Virgin Islands, and I'm having similar trouble finding useful information about caring for the seeds/seedling.

8. Ginsu

Ginsu Member

I am trying to germinate Tamarind seeds as well, I have had no success yet. I know it takes a while for germination and I just started them about a week ago so I will be expecting some plants in the near future. Also, I think I should be keeping the soil at a higher temperature for germination, but I am not sure. I do know that the trees are absolutely amazing and can be made into really awesome bonsai plants.

9. jpsc

jpsc Member

The secret to germinate tamarind seed is to boil the seed in boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes. then place them in moist warm dirt

10. redstepchild

redstepchild Member