How to fill out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Jul 29, 2020.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

I purchased A.p. ‘Milky Way’ back in the early summer. It was a cultivar I had seen only once, but the green on green variegation always piqued my interest. So, I finally found it available from a nursery in Georgia and pulled the trigger on a small one gallon. Actually, probably less than a one gallon. Anyways, it is still alive, and healthy enough I suppose, but it is rather scraggly , and I am hoping you friends can help me decide on what would be the best course of action to encourage this little fellow to fill out more in the coming growing seasons. I imagine a skillful pruning to encourage back-budding and bushing out might be in order further down the road, but I’ll let you all tell me what you think.

Kyle

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@kgeezy20, good morning Kyle, Acer palmatum 'Milky Way' is a new one on me. Look forward to seeing postings of this in the next couple of years from you.
    Tbh Kyle, I don't like to touch any of my youngsters for the first few years at least. But if you want to get the bushy effect, I would consider pruning the growing tips off in February. I would not touch this youngster now. By Summer 2021 you will then start to see hints of the effect you want. A slow process I'm afraid.