How do you kill an extremely invasive tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Olafhenny, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

How do you kill an extremely invasive tree?

I planted this thing, because I loved its picturesque shapes and the flaming gold and red
    leaves in fall

I cannot remember its name right now, but I cannot wait until it comes back to me. The
    tree is now invading the neighbour’s yard and I have to do something.

Here are a couple of pictures (sorry, I for got how to upload to this site):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lungwitz/14315842346/

and
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lungwitz/14338982685/in/photostream/

Ripping it out is probably not a good option, because it appears that the roots left in the
    ground, will just re-grow. I believe the answer is in poisoning it. I am asking what the
    best method is to get rid of it.

Thank you,
    Olaf

2. Fruit

Fruit New Member

Your pictures doesn't work. You can upload pictures at the additional options section at the bottom of the page and click on the manage attachments button.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like a sumac (Rhus species).

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, it was a Rhus (I recall from having seen the photos before). It's not an invasive -- merely locally aggressive.

It can't handle shade, so that is one method of control. If it is invading a lawn, just keep mowing down the new shoots.

5. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Thank you for the replies. I have to apologise for the invalid URLs of the photos. My Flickr
    was set on ‘Enbed’ rather than on ‘HTML’, when I copied them from there. The trees were
    indeed Sumac. I believe that I have solved the problem by spraying the leaves with
    glysophate and by two days later scraping a 1 to 2 inches wide ring of bark of at the bases
    down to the cambium and painting that with glysopate as well. They are now showing
    signs of deteriorating.

Thanks again,
    Olaf