Honeysuckle vine main line cut!

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by norddeutsche, Apr 27, 2006.

1. norddeutsche

norddeutsche Member

Hello all,

I have a Honeysuckle plant that has been growing along the side of my porch for a while now and is in great condition. Yesterday, I was trimming the weeds and such around the base of it and accidently cut the main line to about half of the vine. I didn't know what to do so I cut the ends and attempted to mend the ends together with tape, lay it underground and further water the plant. I checked on it today and the ends have been seperated! The plant hasn't died but it is definately drooping.

Is there anything at all that can salvage the plant?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Karin

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I believe the vine will grow back from the remaining part of the plant. Honeysuckles are generally vigorous.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

You can't splice the ends of the vine together - it won't work. Just remove all the vines arise from the the main vine that you severed. Leave the stump as is. Ver soon, it will sprout new vines, just as Eric suggested.

4. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

You might also look to see if any of the cut off portion of the vine has rooted into the soil. I have many new plants simply by letting offshoots lie on the soil until they root but I don't know if this happens with all types.
    Good luck and enjoy the perfume of your honeysuckle.
    Margaret