Hole in Monkey Puzzle tree trunk

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by Sharlyne Jay, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Sharlyne Jay

Sharlyne Jay New Member

I have a Monkey Puzzle tree on my property that is approximately 45 years old and it recently developed a hole at the bottom of the tree trunk and I'm wondering if this is a cause for concern and if there’s anything I can do to stop the hole from getting any bigger.
    The tree seems healthy otherwise.
    Here are a few pictures of the tree and the hole.

Attached Files:

2. monkey

monkey Member

That appears to be a frost crack . Can happen in the coldest days of winter when the early morning sun warms up a frozen trunk too quickly . I could be wrong however . Anyway I have had success in getting the bark to heal itself over time by wrapping degradable string around the trunk or try papertape (breathable medical bandage that comes in a roll) wrapped tightly around the trunk . I have used a big F clamp(woodworking) to help push the bark tightly back in place . Some combination of those treatments may work . Keep your eye on it though because the bark can grow and swallow the string etc . Readjust before that happens . monkey

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think i would trim the dead bark back to live wood, to see the damage, help it heal and keep the moisture and bugs out.