Identification: Himalayan Lycoperdon

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by alok, Apr 18, 2010.

1. alok

alok Member

Hello everyone,
    On the last foray I found these growing on a decayed fallen tree. The forest is primarily conifer (the same place I found the Peziza). Seems to me a kind of Lycoperdon.. but then I am no expert.. :)

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you Alok - you find the most interesting things!

Would you give me an idea of the size, eg. is one of those projections roughly 2 inches long or?

I'm musing over whether these are very immature fruiting bodies, just pinheads of what they will become, or if these are the mature structures.

During a fungal survey project, we found something growing from the ground once that looked, at an apparently mature state, similar to this. We hmmm'd over it for quite awhile, but I believe in the end we decided it was an oddly-growing Clavariadelphus. It tasted like a Clavariadelphus too <grin>. I'll see if I can track down what our other candidates were.

cheers,
    frog

3. alok

alok Member

Hi Frog
    The largest finger was definitely between 1 1/2 to 2 inches and was thicker than my little finger.. (@#$%!^&*.. forgot my measuring tape again) actually the base was beneath the bark but because of the growth the bark just came off..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. alok

alok Member

Oops..! Sorry forgot to mention.. the dead tree it was growing upon is called
    Xylosma longifolia (saw the tree classification on www.flowersofindia.net).. I don't know if it helps..?? Also.. it had white fleshy inside
    Alok

5. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

How odd! I keep thinking if only I could see them in a few days they might develop into one of those "head-slapper" -- "Oh, of course!" mushrooms....but for the time being, I'm not really sure where to go with it. I doubt very much it's a puffball of any kind, but beyond that...?

6. alok

alok Member

Thanks for your reply Mycos.. I was planning to go there today but the weather dashed my hopes.. Even I am curious to know what it develops into.. will probably go there tomorrow.. but in case there is anything particular to look for please give me a hint so that I keep that in mind...
    Thanks again
    Alok

7. alok

alok Member

Hello Friends..!! :)
    Does the name 'Polyporus squamosus' or 'Dryad's saddle' strike a bell somewhere....
    Alok

8. alok

alok Member

Re: Himalayan Lycoperdon - hopefully resolved.. :)

Sorry could not upload photographs earlier due to bad connection, but here they are...!!!

Attached Files:

9. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wow - very beautiful!

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Beautiful Dryad's! I only find the advanced forms...never the beginnings.

11. alok

alok Member

Thank you, Frog, Mycos and Wick.. I am happy if I contributed a tiny bit of info which might come in use for someone... :)
    Alok