Hibiscus Mosheutos ‘luna pink swirl’- swamp rose mallow aka hardy hibiscus

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by pmurphy, Aug 17, 2019.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

IMG_1595.JPG

A zone 5a wetland perennial that prefers full sun. This plant will grow up to 3 ft tall in the Vancouver area, where it will die back to the roots each year before reappearing in early to mid-summer. The saucer size flowers are great for attracting butterflies and bees.....as well as giving a great tropical look to any garden.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Appears to be a seed strain resulting in variation as we see here:

luna pink swirl hibiscus - Bing images

Otherwise note also that it being a species name moscheutos is not capitalized and it being a cultivar name 'Pink Swirl' is capitalized. Regarding the combination 'Luna Pink Swirl' despite it being repeatedly used I am not sure it is correct because MOBOT for instance - even though using the same combination 'Luna Pink Swirl' - also shows Luna as being a trademark. And others refer to Luna as a series. So that it may be the name is properly LunaTM 'Pink Swirl'.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Is it properly written Hibiscus moscheutos LunaTM 'Pink Swirl' or Hibiscus LunaTM 'Pink Swirl'? Or that doesn't matter?

So pretty. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere, but I have no idea where and whether I photographed it.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Regarding inclusion of moscheutos in the name it depends of course on whether the genetics of the selection involve more than one species or just moscheutos. If you are asking me if I know what these genetics are I don't.