Help with Skimmias

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mike in North Vancouver, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Mike in North Vancouver

Mike in North Vancouver Member

Hi all, I am new this site and hope I am posting in the right area. I have a question about Skimmias. I have a Skimmia Rubella. The tag notes that it is a male and I understand that I need to locate it near a female. In searching the internet I have seen a couple of references that indicate that a Skimmia Rubella is a male type of Skimmia (suggesting that there are no female Rubellas). In other places I have seen that a Skimmia Rubella male should be paired with a female Skimmia Rubella to get berries. I want to make my Skimmia happy and am hoping someone might be able to tell me which type of female Skimmia he might be compatible with (he seems very nice btw). I haven't seen a female Skimmia Rubella in any plant stores and the garden centre I was at didn't know the answer to my question.

I'd appreciate any information people out there might have. Thanks very much.

Mike

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dirr's manual of woody landscape plants lists Skimmia japnoica 'Rubella' as: a male clone with large, 3" long, 2 1/2" wide at base panicles of red buds through winter.... also listed as S reevesiana clone."

It also lists S. reevesiana as bisexual, which means it will produce berries with one or more plants present.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Mike--I think you've got the best skimmia variety...I love those red buds all winter. And if I got any berries on mine, I think I'd pick em off! The plant looks so neat the way it is...

As mentioned this is supposed to be a male clone, and that's why the red buds hang in there for such a nice long time...somehow the info about planting females got mixed in, probably coz the labeling folks aren't always experts in plants, more likely label making experts. Keep the girls away from your reevesiana, and just enjoy him/them.

4. Mike in North Vancouver

Mike in North Vancouver Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like we are fine as we are then. Thanks again for the responses.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If a substantial fruit display is desired you would plant several female Skimmia japonica. Down here the common offering is S. japonica "dwarf male" paired with S. japonica "dwarf female". S. japonica 'Rubella' is considered a superior selection, due to the high degree of bud coloration but most males on the market seem to have quite nice flowers.

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

Hi Mike, Hes not going to get all depressed just because he doesnt have a partner :)
    its more important to have a male if you want berries on female plants.........one male to about three females would make all of them happy ;)