Has the Sedum Genus Changed it's Name?

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by mcroteau1969, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

OK, I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this rumour?

Three weeks ago co-worker told me the Sedum Genus had been re-classified. I'm guessing it's not true ... a quick check of the Integrated Taxonomic Information System, a taxonomic information partnership of U.S., Canadian, and Mexican agencies, produced this result which indicates no change.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Mike

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

some things have been reclassified, i believe.

3. mcroteau1969

I would expect some re-classification of species but surely not the genus though?

M.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Alternative genera that have been used by some authors for some species are Hylotelephium and Rhodiola.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Not my area of specialty but I did find on TROPICOS some species of the genus Sedum have been sunk into genera including Rosularia, Phedimus and likely others. Sedum is a very old genus name and would then be considered a basionym. So as not to make this terribly confusing the word basionym comes from the Greek bainein, (step) and Latin nomen or nym (name) so when you read "basionym" that would indicates a basic step or first step in the naming process. I did not find evidence that all the species in the genus were changed to other genera.

Short explanation? Modern botanists have decided some of these plants were originally placed in the wrong genus.

7. mcroteau1969

Wow, thank you all for the responses. GRIN is certainly an amazing resource to add to my collection of links, I appreciate the time to post replies helping me to understand these taxonomic follies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.