Growing Giant Sequioa among deciduous hardwoods.

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Ryan Murphy, May 27, 2021.

1. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy New Member

20210527_205514.jpg 20210527_205505.jpg 20210527_205446.jpg
    I live at the top of zone 6 here in Cincinnati, Ohio...

Charachterized by humid summers

August and September is the dryest month, but it rains all year round. And snows a bit in Febuary... Although it can snow anywhere from October to May, but mostly rain

I planted 3 giant Sequioa trees... There is a lot of shade, but two of those giant sequioa get at least 2 hours of direct sun light if not more and they seem to be growing... It has been less than a week.

One is almost full shade, but if it were two feet taller it would get a ton of light... The question is should I move it or let it grow.
    I read that these can incubate in a forest for 20 years growing a few inches a year before rooting and exploding... I am afraid the cold might kill it if it doesn't grow enough.

Anyway the trees are all deciduous so the sequioa's will get full sun im the winter.... Typically January and December will fluctuate between 65 and 45 degrees, but temperatures are liable to drop down to zero degrees with huge 50 degree daytime temps swings. One day shorts, next day evryone is staying home because it is to cold...

Anyway the warm winter days are where the Sequioa will shine and get the upper advantage over the hardwoods I'm hopimg.

Anybody get any winter growth or will the winter light be good in general for these?

The first one I am thinking of moving.

2. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy New Member

This Eastern Red Cedar has been here in the shadiest part of the yard for 5 years.

Dense shade all day.

20210527_212505.jpg