Green Thumb in wrong field

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by jmair, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jmair

jmair Member

I’m a technology coordinator by trade and though my genius is in the sciences, I can’t help but feel I’m in the wrong science. This is my first attempt to find information on a new path and I’m hoping I can ask a few questions in an attempt to find some direction. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

1: I’m a husband and father with the nearest college being at least three hours away in one direction, is an online education a ridiculous notion for horticulture/botany?

2: I’ve dreamt for years of creating my own apple, what field would I look into for this?

Honestly I have a bunch of questions, but I think these two will really help me figure out if it's even a plausable path or not. Thanks again for your time.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

1. I'd say no. Distance education is great, especially for things like horticulture, where you can do at least some of your coursework in your own garden. The same goes for botany, especially if what you're interested in is native plants.

2. If you're creating new hybrids, that is squarely in the realm of Horticulture. I'd start by talking (online) with your local college or university horticulture programs - often the extension offices are extremely helpful in this regard.

3. jmair

jmair Member

Thank you kindly for your feedback! That's what I needed to know.