Identification: Green mushroom identification

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mikephillips, Jul 12, 2013.

1. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Hello, I encountered these unusual guys recently in Southern Vancouver Island. They are small (1.5 - 3 cm) but a vivid dark green, with bright yellow stems. The oldest one is faded but still has a green margin. Hopefully pics I attached will come through.

I've never heard of such a thing! Does anyone know?

Thanks, Mike

2. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

My attachments got lost but the site software handily popped up "similar threads," which turned up a winner from Quebec from years ago: Leotia viscosa. Thanks basilavon and MycoRob!

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good to hear Mike,
    Always happy to hear when this forum has been a good resource.
    Great find - lovely mushroom, striking colours.
    cheers
    frog

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Frog, I noticed that L. viscosa does not show up in either E-Flora BC or the BC part of the "Pacific Northwest Distributions for Macrofungi" list under the svims.ca Website. Is there a comprehensive and up-to-date list of BC mushrooms anywhere on the Web?

Thanks,
    Vito

5. Frog

Hi Vito,

I'm not sure there is a comprehensive and up to date list on the web for all BC mushrooms. I use the Pacific Northwest Key Council Keys quite often. Other online resources are also useful, such as E-Flora, UBC Herbarium, information posted by the Ceskas, as well others that are just not coming to mind right now.

Most of the time my other resources are offline: regional field guides, monographic texts/papers/keys on specific fungal groups, my own and my husband's records from a decade of study and foraying, plus records kindly shared by other local mycophiles.

I've never seen L. viscosa "in real life" unfortunately, only in photos. Which reminds me: Mike if you are still in touch with this thread, I'm hoping you might still post photos of your find!
    - The instructions for posting photos are here: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=60953

cheers,
    frog

6. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Oh good, I'm around irregularly but glad I checked. Thanks for your follow-up. I had tried to attach my pics before and was told I was successful but the post had to be scrapped, can't remember why and the attachment mechanism couldn't re-attach them to the new post.

So I'll try attaching here. (Just got past the first obstacle, which was no attachments with quick Reply mode.) Okay, here we go

Attached Files:

7. Frog

Lovely thank you for posting these!
    They look like Hygrocybe psittacina - do they have gills on the underside of the caps?
    cheers!
    frog

8. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Aha, a little complication! Just when I thought it was a done deal. Okay. I'm happy to learn of this other greenie, never knew there were so many -- and I have also seen myself yet another one, but it was a pale green and I didn't get a great picture. Still I'll attach what I got.

I explored your Hygrocybe idea. Mushroomexpert.com 's presentation didn't seem to fit very well with the bright yellow stem but they also suggested MykoWeb. After going through a lengthy Not Found dance, I found they had renamed it Gliophorus psitticinus, with the former name there but misspelled, so unfindable. Cute!

Anyway, their G psitticinus was closer to the mark, allowing both a yellow stem and convex cap (which ME.com didn't), so one could say maybe, but the description of the aging shroom didn't really work. So the L viscosa pictures and description still fit better it seems. Both are gilled, I don't remember particulars about the gills now.

Meanwhile, the other new one, from late July on Southern Vancouver Island, also gilled and cap about 4 cm.

Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

9. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

This last one looks like Russula aeruginea, but check it out in Mushroomexpert.com for other options. You need a lot more information to identify a Russula.

10. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Okay, cool, thanks, that looks as likely as anything. And I'll settle for Russula.

11. Frog

Hi again Mike,
    In case you are interested, on October 3, your local mycological society is hosting speaker on Russulas.
    http://www.svims.ca
    cheers,
    frog