Golden Celebration Rose

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by MamaBenita, Jun 29, 2006.

1. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

Here's a submission...it is Golden Celebration Rose with Nepeta Six Hills Giant in the background. The flowers were so fully petaled that they hung over as shown in the photo, and were absolutely stunning, with a honey fragrance.

Hope you like the picture!

Benita

Attached Files:

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Most interesting. I would enjoy seeing more of the complete plant also. It is a most attractive flower to grow.

Durgan

3. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

I suppose this is the picture I have that shows more of the complete plant. It is to the right of the bench, sort of arcing over it. Hey, I just got the camera, and I am just experimenting! Right now, there are NO flowers on the plant, but it will burst forth again later in the summer in a closing aria. It is just fabulous! It has some new growth that I am thinking of staking down into the soil to make new plants, as I love this rose so very much. Do you think that would work? Sort of a wound and staple approach?

Cheers and flowers,
    Benita

4. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

Hey! The picture didn't show up! Let me try again... Yeech. Says the file's too big, so I'll wait until my son is back from Cedar Point tomorrow to help me out. But then I won't get much time on the 'puter! But I will still attempt it.

Sorry,
    Benita

5. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

You could peg the ‘Golden Celebration’ if the canes were lax enough, or you could take cuttings. http://www.ars.org/About_Roses/propagating-cuttings-hulse.htm. ‘The Pilgrim’ roots really easily and is just as vigorous on its own roots. One time a cane was a bit buried in the soil, so I removed the soil to find that it had rooted. I have also rooted pruned canes just by sticking them in the soil, although the few other David Austins I have have failed to root that easily. I would go with pegging, which will encourage more flowers on those canes this season, and/or cuttings with moisture and mist. I hope that you succeed.

6. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

Here's the picture that shows more of the plant. Hope it serves. I am going to try to bury the tip as recommended...but is this plant piracy? Is David Austin made poorer by this? Should I cease and desist?

Benita

Attached Files:

7. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

'Golden Celebration' was hybridized by David Austin in 1992 from 'Charles Austin' x 'Abraham Darby'; 'The Pilgrim' in 1991 from 'Graham Thomas' x 'Yellow Button'. A rose patent is good for 17 years. It is sensitive of you to be aware of this issue, and my answer is not from a legal perspective really, but more an ethical one. It would not be appropriate for you to sell or give away any of the 'Golden Celebration' propagated in this way. Analagous to copyright law on copying sections of a book for study, or making a backup CD of one you own for use in the car or so that you or your child do not destroy the original, propagating the rose for your own garden is acceptable. Others may have entirely different responses, and if Mr. Austin or his colleagues have written on this issue, I would be interested in reading about their perspective.

8. MamaBenita

MamaBenita Member

My concern is more ethical than financial, although I am far from rich. I am aware that Mr. Austin is making money through his creativity and sweat equity; I wouldn't like it if someone snarked me out of a royalty for such an endeavor. However, I would hate to lose the plant due to weather or some other catastrophe. I shall start my little plant and watch this space for any discussion of this issue; if there is a convincing arguement that it would be unethical to keep it I will destroy it with regret.

Thanks for your reply and interest in this subject; I have always wondered about propagation!

Benita