Arbutus: Furthest inland A. menziesii

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by growest, Nov 30, 2006.

1. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Helping my brother in law's family move into their new place in Mission, I was a bit surprised to see a nice old arbutus in their front yard.

Just for fun, what's the furthest east arbutus in B.C., I suspect someone's succeeded further out than my relative's place?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's the furthest east I've heard of.

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

There are a few around there and Whonnock that were transplanted inland.

4. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

For sure there is no wild population anywhere close. Something in the back of my mind is saying the Pitt Lake basin might have a few wild trees, as that area seems a bit of an anomaly (sea level, tidal, very close to the Fraser).

The tree in Mission would have been planted when the house was built, making it some time in the '90s...since it is (predictably!) right up against the south facing foundation wall. Growing well tho...had to be pruned to keep it away from the walkway...and perhaps 20ft. tall now.

5. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

Yes,there is a few dozen wild arbutus found beside Pitt Lake, they look right at home. A few of them are near some of the native rock paintings.