Foliar feeding

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by garcrob, Apr 21, 2010.

1. garcrob

garcrob Member

Wondering if doing a foliar feeding once every 4-5 days is too much

has anyone had experience with using this method through out the whole process start to finish? From seedling to harvest?

also, i have the plants( a few vines, few small trees, and some flowers ) under a 400 watt growlight 17-18 hours a day
    so my thought process is they need more food/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I have been feeding all my plant with foliar feeding for almost 8 years. Our artificial rain forest is in NW Arkansas and as you can see from the photos is growing quite robustly.

The center area that appears to be a tree is just a cedar post measuring 6 x 8 inches and the second photos is an artificial log made out of PVC pipe covered with cork bark. The plants were originally glued to the cork with Liquid Nails glue and have no attachment to the soil since they grow epiphytically.

The plants on the post were planted in the soil as juveniles and have grown to near adulthood since 2003. Our goal was to create a natural rain forest that appears as close as possible to a real rain forest. The the rain forest most of the plants are fed via foliar feeding by Nature. The only other nutrients they receive are from dead vegetation and animals droppings that fall on their suspended roots.

I use an adjustable spray container that allows me to set the amount of dissolved fertilizer (a 13-13-13 or 14-14-14 blend) to each gallon of water. I use 1 teaspoon of a highly diluted mix per gallon.

If you'd like to see more photos you can find them here: www.ExoticRainforest.com

Attached Files:

3. garcrob

garcrob Member

wow i would love to have that in my back yard! still didn't answer my question, how many times to you feed your plants with the foliar spray? as i stated i feed every 4-5 days do you think that would be too much?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Follow directions on label.

5. garcrob

garcrob Member

I know and usually do, but if you are extending the light hours then the plant can utilize more nutrients correct?

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

We foliar feed every 10 days to 2 weeks.