Appreciation: Eikando Zenrin-ji in Kyoto

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jun 24, 2017.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Eikando is along the philosopher's path between Ginkaku-ji and Nanzen-ji, two temples we planned to visit. It turned out to be one of our favorite places in Kyoto, with the widest range of maples we saw anywhere (outside of the botanical garden, anyway) and really a fantastic (in the true sense of the word) architecture.

So I took a lot of pictures, both of maple and garden interest, as usual in the order of our visit. This first group features maples and gardens.

Attached Files:

AlainK, JT1 and ROEBUK like this.
  2. emery

This next group is oriented around the temple architecture and maples lining the outside paths.

Attached Files:

JT1 likes this.
  3. emery

Here is the pond and some maple cultivars, featuring an "electrical tape" repair I have been known to use myself. Shigitatsu sawa and Shishigashira are planted inches away. The last picture is some Ugly American disfiguring the maples in the landscape.

Attached Files:

AlainK, JT1 and ROEBUK like this.
  4. emery

The pond features a large range of cultivars and species JMs, something we saw nowhere else. Of course nothing is labeled. Also in this set an old JM trunk covered with moss and fern, a trident maple -- also somewhat of a rarity in most gardens -- showing red new growth, and my lovely wife.

Attached Files:

AlainK, dangerine49 and JT1 like this.
  5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see the person behind the name! If we ever make it to a symposium you will now be the only person I recognize :-)