Downtown

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Anne Carten, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Amanogawa - Downtown, Melville from Bute to Jervis

The Prunus Sato-zakura Group 'Ama-no-gawa' trees at the entrance to each townhouse along this row seem to be looking better this year. Only the one closest to Bute has many flowers yet on April 23, but they should be open soon.
    31-AmanogowaMelville.gif 20090423_MelvilleBute_Amanogawa_Cutler_4243.jpg 20090423_MelvilleBute_Amanogawa_Cutler_4250.jpg

2. wcutler

Well, I almost changed my guess to Shogetsu. Now I'm right in the middle, have no idea.
    20090424_BayshoreEast_Shogetsu__Cutler_DSC02518.jpg 20090424_BayshoreEast_Shogetsu__Cutler_DSC02520.jpg 20090424_BayshoreEast_Shogetsu__Cutler_DSC02529.jpg 20090424_BayshoreEast_Shogetsu__Cutler_DSC02535.jpg
    20090424_BayshoreEast_Shogetsu__Cutler_DSC02541.jpg 20090424_BayshoreEast_ShQ__Cutler_DSC02539.jpg 20090424_BayshoreEastMiddle_ShQ__Cutler_DSC02573.jpg

Pro Shirofugen:
    brown appearance of the trees (but con: it's not from the leaves but rather from the bud scales),
    distinct transition from pedicel to calyx, round petals

Pro Shogetsu:
    green leaves (but con: Shirofugens can have green leaves when they're in the heat of a building),
    early opening (Shirofugens are mostly not open yet; the only one I've seen is below)
    New Shirofugen blossoms are more pink - see this for comparison, a known Shirofugen on Cardero at Comox just starting to open
    20090424_CarderoComox_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02574.jpg 20090424_CarderoComox_Shirofugen_Cutler_DSC02576.jpg

There could be both at this location. There are three trees not open at all near the driveway, these three surrounding Shirotae south of the Starbucks, and two small ones north of the Starbucks entrance that are more fully open.

3. wcutler

In the inner courtyard at the Bayshore Hotel, there's one very nice Amanogawa.

Attached Files:

4. JenD

JenD Active Member

I was visiting Vancouver last week, and Wendy Cutler told me about this lovely group of Shirofugens at 401 West Georgia:

Homer Street entrance
    20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0362.jpg 20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0363.jpg 20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0361.jpg

and courtyard behind
    20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0357.jpg 20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0358.jpg 20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0359.jpg 20090429_HomerGeorgia_Dawes_0360.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  5. wcutler

They're Shogetsu. I had just never seen 8 of them in one place and didn't really believe it. [Edited by wcutler 2012june23]: No they're not, they're 'Shirofugen'. They have June 'Shirofugen' blossoms. Except for two smaller trees to the north of the Starbuck entrance, which are 'Shogetsu'.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  6. wcutler

Re: Downtown - the first Akebono blossoms of 2010

First posting 2010

Well, who knew that on February 16, 2010, I'd be what seems to be a week late for the lame photo of the first Burrard Station blossom! If the past two years' timing holds for this year, I'd have to guess these trees will be in bloom around March 10.

These trees are still looking generally green. Buds on the trees over at Grosvenor Place on Dunsmuir are all pink though not plump, but I didn't see a single open blossom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  7. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Accolade in full bloom, southwest corner of Robson and Richards, Feb. 17, 2010.

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

It's just two days later, and there's a lot more pink. The effect in this photo might be from the sun - the trees are definitely not in bloom, but there are easily as many open blossoms as there were for the Cherry Jam last March 31. I think I'm going to be so wrong about the March 10 peak bloom prediction. Should I change it to March 1?
    20100218_BurrardStn_Akebono_Cutler_DSC05272.jpg

I meant to add this photo of some trees in a lane two blocks up from Burrard Station. The only blossoms are the ones receiving the outflow from the hot air vent, and the ones just over it.
    20100218_ThurlowLaneNrDunsmuir_Akebono_Cutler_DSC05272.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  9. wcutler

So wrong - maybe I meant you'd have to get there by March 10 to see them. It's February 25th and the Burrard Station Akebonos are maybe 40% open - definitely farther along than on March 25, 2008 and April 27, 2009. A guy standing near me noted that they're a month early. I'm always amazed when people are aware of the blooming dates.
    20100225_BurrardStn_Akebono_Cutler_7283.jpg 20100225_BurrardStn_Akebono_Cutler_7287c.jpg

Here are some Akebonos on Hamilton south of Smythe. There are another three about this size and about this far open on Davie at Richards.
    20100225_HamiltonSmythe_Akebono_Cutler_7281.jpg 20100225_HamiltonSmythe_Akebono_Cutler_7282.jpg

10. wcutler

Re: Downtown - Burrard Station Akebonos

February 28 and Burrard Station is OPEN !! The Akebonos, that is. I caught a few potential Cherry Scouts too.

Attached Files:

11. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks for the photos. How do you get pics without crowds of people in them, especially since the Olympics are on?

12. wcutler

You mean all those people? It was even right after we'd won the hockey game that I was down there. 1 - It's denial - I don't move in an Olympics world; 2 - the blossoms were up there and the people were down here; 3 - I crop the people out; and 4 - I take about 50 photos and select 3, so I get some choices of what to show. Though my options are diminished a bit after I discard the ones out of focus.

Attached Files:

13. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Ah, I see. Thanks. I was just expecting to see the streets jammed with people, but I guess only in selected areas.

Back on topic (or at least I hope I am) - in the downtown core area, how many of these trees do you think are planted by the city, and how many are on private land? Are there any privacy issues that need to be address when trying to photograph such trees?

14. gonul guvenc

gonul guvenc Active Member

Grosvenor Plaza Akebono's are in bloom. I haven't got any pictures of them yet. I'll try to take some and post later.

15. wcutler

I don't have numbers for just downtown, and I don't have numbers for private trees. The last street tree numbers for the city we have are in this thread:
    How many cherries and plums in Vancouver

My personal take is that if somebody plants a tree in full view of the public, it's a public tree. We try to give intersections rather than exact addresses of private houses. Back yards and behind fences are out unless the owner is keen on showing off their tree. One of the local newspapers has run a contest for the past couple of years for best curbside garden, asking people to nominate gardens they like, identified of course by exact address, so that seems the same to me - out there to be seen is out there. In the downtown, things are even more public. What's not behind a fence seems part of the public space, though occasionally there's a sign posted otherwise.

I know not everyone agrees with what I think about this. But most people are proud of their beautiful trees. It gets more dicey if we'd like to comment about what a terrible job someone did on their pruning, as I just did about trees in front of a downtown apartment building (in the West End blog).

If anyone complains about our showing off their tree, I'll remove the posting.

16. wcutler

Just to continue what I was saying in reply to kevind76's question, the Grosvenor Plaza trees that Gonul just snuck in and commented on while I was typing (you can see last year's photos in posting #41), I refuse to see how could photographing such public trees be a privacy issue, though that plaza is owned by the owner of those buildings. Surely for the expense of planting and maintaining those trees, they want people to notice them. They were selected as VCBF Festival Favourites in 2008.

17. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks. Just curious. Keep up with the great photos! One day I'll come back in time for the blooms.

18. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

These Akebono are really beautiful at Burrard Station. You may take better photos 11am~1 pm near noon time when the sunlight is through highrise buildings from the east.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  19. Joseph Lin

The Shirotae started to bloomed beautifully with buds at the court of 820 Burrard Street.

Attached Files:

20. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks for the pics and info. Beautiful!

21. Joseph Lin

If you walk with Wendy at 2pm from Burrard Station in Downtown this Sunday afternoon, you may see these beautiful scene along the trip.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  22. wcutler

As you face the building, the tree on the left in that group is an 'Ukon'. I can't tell that looking at the photo, but I remember it from last year. And they're in the West End Blog, where this posting belongs, but it feels like downtown.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  23. wcutler

I got off the bus a couple of blocks early when I saw these 'Akebono' trees in bloom at Andy Livingstone Park, at Keefer and Carroll. I neglected to notice how many trees - four maybe, in a very attractive setting. The photographer says he might become a cherry scout, and the woman in red was thrilled to learn about the festival.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  24. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I saw a lot of cherry trees in the park west of Denman and Georgia. The north side of Georgia is 'legally' downtown, so that's why I'm posting here.There are about 10 of them as you walk down the path to Coal Harbour. There seem to be two types of cherry as one set of trees is just budding. I think the first ones are Akebono.
    20090305_GeorgiaDenman_Akebono_jCurrieDSCN0719.jpg 20090305_GeorgiaDenman_AkebonoBlossoms_jCurrieDSCN0720.jpg 20090305_GeorgiaDenman_AkebonoBark_jCurrie_DSCN0728.jpg 20090305_GeorgiaDenman_Akebonoflower_jCurrieDSCN0725.jpg

Here's an updated photo from a different view; further down the path.

20100309_CoalHarbour_Akebonos_jCurrie_DSCN0754.jpg 20100309_CoalHarbour_AkebonosBlossom_jCurrie_DSCN0747.jpg 20100309_CoalHarbour_Akebonos_jCurrie_DSCN0744.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Acerholic likes this.
  25. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

The Akebonos are fully out at the Burrard Station.

20100305_BurrardStn._Akenebo_jCurrie.jpg