Does Bark Mulch deter cats?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by flowercents, May 13, 2005.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

We've had a problem with cats in our front gardens. We put a layer of bark mulch down, and were wondering if this would deter the cats?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I doubt that bark mulch will deter cats. I have read that lava rock is unpleasant to them. They don't like sprinklers. Motion controlled sprinklers are on the market, but that seems a bit extreme. Keeping the beds wet for a while may just break the habit. Some people say that small jars of ammonia placed around the garden repel them. (Sink the jars part way in the ground so they do not tip over.)

You could get a dog. Then she will dig in your garden instead of the cats! But dogs are easier to train.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It needs to be something they won't dig through, like river rock or dense planting. Unconfined (outdoor) house cats provide another reason to space plants so that they touch fairly soon. Even though it's slivery, bark mulch at the usually employed 1"-2" depth isn't enough to keep them out of fine, dusty soil. I've even cut up pieces of vicious wintergreen barberry branches and scattered them in beds where they were going, only to have them keep it up (and get barberry thorns in my fingers when weeding later).

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

hi

you can try the citrus trick, that worked on the coast( at least limited the prob)

1 spread orange rinds on the garden or try a mix of 2 cups rubbing alcohol with 1.5 tsp lemon grass oil and spray the area. the rain/water exposure will determine the respray time.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Orange peel is supposed to repel fleas in the house, if it keeps cats out of flower beds as well: great! I'll have to try it.

6. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

oh orange peels do work.. ive used them in my garden when i just planted some seeds and i notice that some had been dug up .and i also watched my cat dig in one of the holes .. so i peeled a orange and stuck some rinds in each holes and it kept them away .. ya might have to refresh the peels after a while .. but it does work .. have ya ever stuck a orange peel up to a cats nose ??..lol..they run pretty fast ..lol..

Marn