Disappointing garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by soccerdad, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

From @soccerdad, of course, whom else?

BTW, my suggestion about fertilizing topic (to use 1.5 recommended rations) is much more practical than your suggestion to order soil test. Soil test shifts Soccerdad from the need to interpret poor plant growth to the need to interpret lab results (a bunch of numbers), that could be pretty hard for a person, who has no agricultural background. I can't be more specific not knowing the soil type and what exact crops Soccerdad wants to grow.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Rotation is not my problem. Except for perennials - which I mostly re-located a year ago - I plant whatever I feel like planting, wherever I feel like, each year and so seldom does the same thing grow twice in the same place two years in a row. .

3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The problem is, that for many crops it is not advised to grow it again at the same bed for 3...5 years. Crop rotation is really pain for small scale gardener, as usually they don't have grains and grassland as regular steps in their field rotation system. And you can't consider switching from potato to tomato as a viable option, because they both are the same family - Solanaceae. At least 1/3 of my garden is under potato, tomato, tomatillo and cape gooseberries, I have to swich to Solanaceae every second year because I have perennials (strawberries, asparagus, chives, winter onion etc - they took part of land out of annual rotation system) too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  4. soccerdad

I will have my soils analyzed. But at this moment, does anyone know what is likely to be causing the lower leaves on all of my dahlias to look like this:

[​IMG]

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I'm afraid your photo file doesn't open.

6. soccerdad

AArghs. When I look at my post on my computer the photo is part of the post and not an attachment. But then, I'm a luddite so I'll enlist my far-more-intelligent 4 year old granddaughter.

7. soccerdad

So is the photo visible now?

Attached Files:

8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The photo is visible.
    Looks like either nitrogen deficiency or light deficiency.

9. Margot

At this time of year, it is normal for older leaves to start dying back. With all the heat we experienced this summer, I notice many of my perennials have already called it a season and gone dormant early.

By the way, with all the debate over soil tests, I decided to have my soil tested again. The Complete Soil Analysis - Regular costs $75 CAN and tests "N, P, K, Sulfate, Organic matter, Major & Minor Elements - including: B, Ca, Co, Cu, Fe, Mg, Mn, Mo, Zn, pH & Conductivity (Salinity).

MB Labs in Sidney, BC MB Laboratories Ltd

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  10. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I rather recommend you to watch this video:

11. soccerdad

Sidney is much closer to you than to me but I think there is a lab near Ballard (or if you will near Mandeville) in Burnaby.

12. Margot

To tell the truth, I chose MB Labs because Dr. Linda Gilkeson mentioned it and because I found their website more informative than most - and most don't even have websites.
    The location didn't matter because I'll be mailing the sample regardless. Is the lab you mention near Mandeville in the Glenlyon Business Park? AGAT? They apparently send their soil samples to Alberta.

Soil nutrient testing - Province of British Columbia

We'll have compare our results and satisfaction with the 2 labs. MB says it will help interpret results if necessary - so, we'll see.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Australian instructions for interpretation of soil test results (can't find Canadian, sorry!)
    Result interpretation

14. Margot

Did you ever get your soil tested, @soccerdad? My results just came in a few minutes ago so I haven't gone over the numbers in detail yet.
    I'm certainly not surprised to know that my soil is low in nitrogen but didn't realize how low.
    This is going to be very interesting. So glad I had it done.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  15. soccerdad

I haven't yet. You sent yours somewhere on the island I think? I'll be in Victoria later this month

16. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Low soil nitrogen content in the fall is pretty common. Nitrogen is most needed for plants in the spring, if you don't remove from the ground all the dead organic material (leaves etc), then by decomposing it the nitrogen level would somewhat restore by spring. I would be more worried about high reading of Aluminium. Effects of soil acidity | Agriculture and Food

17. Margot

Yes, the low nitrogen here is no surprise, what with sandy soil and little N added one way or the other. Several rhodos leaves become positively yellow over the winter months until I fertilize them again in early spring. The aluminum is a concern; something I want to research further.

To: @soccerdad
    The lab I used is in Sidney, not too far from the Victoria Airport.

2062 West Henry Avenue
    Sidney, B.C.
    V8L 5Y1
    http://www.mblabs.com
    info@mblabs.com
    1-250-656-1334

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021
  18. soccerdad

Just off McDonald Park Road - where we normally have lunch after we get off the ferry!

19. Margot

Perfect! You'll save the $20 I spent mailing my sample - should just about cover the cost of lunch!

Please share the results of your soil sample if you have the time and inclination. It would be interesting to compare.

20. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The dahlia picture looks most like sucking pest damage to me. There is also some mildew.

21. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @soccerdad - is your next door neighbor growing a successful garden (vegetables) - I think you said yes somewhere up earlier in thread

Is the neighbor garden in similar situation as yours? (Shade sun etc)

Have you asked what brand of soil and supplement your neighbor uses?

Does your neighbor have same pesky visitors as you do — I think you’ve posted several times about rodents etc

Do you use pesticides and fertilizers? I am not making a judgment about their use - just wondering if it’s a clue.

22. soccerdad

Georgia strait: One neighbour only has shrubs (and a gardening service!) The other has a few flowers but I am sure uses neither soil nor supplement.

I haven't heard about visitors at my neighbours'.

I have never used pesticides or herbicides and have lived in this house for a bit less than 40 years. The previous owner claimed never to have done so.

23. soccerdad

Ron, agree with the mildew but three nearby dahlias look great and have grown well... but gave, and give, no sign of flowers this year.

24. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    And no raised beds with pressure treated and/or painted lumber ?

If you do proceed w soil test at a reputable lab - it’ll be interesting to hear back from you in this thread

Margot likes this.
  25. soccerdad

No raided beds of any composition in either neighbouring yard. A small one around my herbs perhaps 15m from my actual garden.