Corn gluten

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by James Arthurs, Jan 29, 2006.

1. James Arthurs

James Arthurs Member

This stuff has become one of the silver bullets of horticulture south of the border, but seems to be getting ignored to death up here. It seems to have well-documented hair root supression capability in the U.S., but this can't be mentioned if you're a Canuckian vendor (no clearance from gov.ca in this department if you sell it as a herbicide). Googling it for Canajun sources yields nobody within 500 kloms or lightyears,but it is available in Washington state. Is there anyone who can see a way of finding it in BC without disturbing the POWERS THAT BE and getting it out on the market?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have sourced corn gluten meal locally. you wont find it sold or marketed or intimated to be a herbicide. that takes a PCP act number and registration which is unlikely for a naturally occuring product (read not patentable). try stream organics or sure growth distributing, you should be able to google contact info for either fairly easily.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. James Arthurs

James Arthurs Member

Thanks. I prefer having composted b.s. in my garden as opposed to the trendy garden writers' version which I've found ususally adds more work at weeding time, & CGM seems to belong to the uncomposted variety. Gracias!!

5. munroc

munroc Member

I just picked up two bags of BC-produced corn gluten at GardenWorks yesterday. The salesperson was very effusive that it's great stuff, so I'll try it. It's very expensive though, $30 for a 5kg bag

Can anyone tell me of a good organic herbicide for existing dandelions?

Thanks.

Christine

6. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I purchased a couple of huge bags of corn gluten at Wal Mart two years ago.$21 each got it at the last of the season for 4$ a bag. I was grinning all the way home.
    Haven't seen it since. Got one bag on, bit by bit as needed and hand weeded the lawn for a year. The results were really satisfying. Of course the product is not available anymore. - go figure. I don't care if they sell it as face cream, I'd just like to buy some. I 'm even more determined because the other bag was devoured by rats and their cousins the rats with good press and nice hair ( grey squirrels.) See- everybody likes the stuff. I'm off to the feed mecantile to see what they have.

7. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Christine, for an organic herbicide try Safers Topgun, it is non selective and is registered for use in Canada, it is best applied in warm, dry weather as it as as a dessicant. Available at Gardenworks.