container gardening.

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by sandpebbles, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hello all. i'm in the midst of developing a passion for (growing?) peppers, i've purchased a variety of seeds, sowing them in peat pellets (so far, so good). well i got so excited, i ordered and transplanted a few plants in miracle grow medium (still alive), however, i lost my prize plant 4 days post delivery (a bhut jolokia). since then i've ordered seeds which i'm about to sow and am now looking for a more appropiate medium, hence organic/ or soiless as i've read. my question, has anyone tried the new promix hp with the "biodegradable" additive. from what i've read, the hp portion is better for plants sensitive to water and the biodegradable additive is suppose to ward off undesirable fungi hence, promoting an even healthier root system. and if that's not enough, i plan to do this all in containers. any thoughts? all would be appreciated. thanks.

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Hi SandPebbles!

:)

I love peppers too, and grow them indoors and out, in containers, as well as in the earth. Here are a few pics of my indoor hot pepper plants, that are doing great inside. I grow them all Winter too, in my sunny windows!

The 1st pic is 'trifetti variegata' (obtained from a seed trade with someone from Portugal), and 'ornamental christmas pepper' (a trade from the States).

Don't know about the - pro-mix hp with the "biodegradable" additive. It sounds great to me though, and worth trying! Just wondering if you did end up getting it, and how it worked out?

Funny though, I use the Miracle Grow potting soil for some of my container plants, as well as Sunshine soil-less pro-mix, but have no problems with either one of them growing amazingly healthy plants! I use all kinds of organic, as well as synthetic fertilizers in my potted plants.

Anyway, sorry to babble on - here are my hot pepper plants...

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      172.7 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      184.2 KB
      Views:
  3. The Hollyberry Lady

Here too, is my indoor Jalapeno plants - look closely at how many fruits there are! I have already harvested two, so far.

Who says you can't produce veggies in containers?!!!

: )

Attached Files:

4. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hi hollyberry, thanks for responding. your peppers are gorgeous. they look very healthy. i haven't recieved my order of promix yet. i ordered it from a local shop (impossible to find) with the agreement that i would be willing to wait until they placed another routine order so that i my avoid extreme shipping cost. i have a habanero growing in a cactus/ palm miracle grow medium that's doing well. it's no where near fruiting, however healthy. i'm in the proceed of sowing my bhut jolokia seeds which i understand takes a minimum of 30 days to germinate and another 5-6 months to mature. so far nothing, i'm hoping i don't end up with seed rot, a common problem for this particular pepper. this pepper is suppose to be challenging for the avid gardener, and well, i've still got on my novice hat. i really jumped in on this one. might i ask you if you use a plant light (full spectrum) or a regular flourescent light for wintering your peppers. soon to be my next challenge. i'm really loving my container gardening. ofcourse, often times it's with fingers and toes crossed. lol. anyway, thanks again. i'll keep you posted on how things work out.

5. The Hollyberry Lady

I have bhut jolokia seeds too! My seeds sprouted in two weeks, using a heat mat.

Yes, I do have two light systems. I have two four foot long fluorescent bulbs that I use for germination, and growing seedlings and cuttings. I also have a 400w metal halide system with an amazing full-spectrum SunMaster warm deluxe bulb with rich orange, red, and blue light to promote germination, vegetative growth, and flowering!

This one bulb does it all, instead of having to change bulbs for each stage of the plant! My halide is not in use right now in the warm months, but it has grown strawberries, sweet peppers, lettuce, hot peppers, dwarf cucumbers, many kinds of dwarf tomatoes, tons of flowers, etc.

A serious light system is well worth the money - I just love mine.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. The Hollyberry Lady

By the way - thank you for the compliment about my peppers! I didn't mean to be rude.

: O

Also too, having a light system will enable you to get your seedlings ready for outside, much sooner. My plants are usually blooming or flowering, long before I put them out in late May! Even just an inexpensive fluorescent light system, can be wonderful for giving young plants a great start.

Great that you are going to try the pro-mix! Let us know how it works out, and if you like it. Your habanero sounds great - love to see pics anytime.

Good luck as well with your bhut jolokia. I got my bhut seeds from a trade with a master gardener in the States. I sprouted seeds back in the winter too, that came up in 2 weeks, but I was just testing for viability. Now again, the seeds sprouted quickly for me - no surprise though, because a heat mat makes seeds pop, in half the time! I will be growing bhut for the first time this year, and I am so looking forward.

Also, I am growing a red sweet pepper variety called 'Tennessee Cheese' - it is said to produce peppers that are as sweet as candy! I have two seedlings taking off right now. I can't wait to try them.

Yes, container gardening can be a wonderful thing. Funny, I nearly called myself 'container gardener' on this forum, but then changed it! Growing things in a pot can be so fun and rewarding. Plus too, you can move the pot anywhere you want it, unlike garden plants.

However, I do love growing things in the garden too. My container garden indoors, is just an extention, of what I like to do outdoors as well. I have so many wide sunny sills and windows - why not take advantage?!!!

I would love to know how it all works out for you. Best of luck with everything. I'm sure your peppers will be terrific.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is a pic of my living room window setup...

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's some more pics I took today, of my producing indoor jalapenos, grown from seed...

Attached Files:

9. Jen P

Jen P Member

These look fantastic! I started jalapenos from seed this year (West Coast Seeds), but they are growing very slowly. They are in small pots with loose plastic domes in a West-facing window. Do you recommend fertilizing? Will the Miracle Grow I have for my tomatoes work?

10. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes, the fertilizer you use on your tomatoes will work on your peppers too! Peppers and tomatoes are related.

Yes, I begin fertilizing when my seedlings are only 2 weeks old! I use a starter formula, for seedlings and cuttings. Just give them a very weak solution of your tomato fertilizer.

Thanks for the compliment about my jalapenos. They have never even seen the outside before! They grow in a very sunny south-facing window! I am looking forward to collecting more fruits...

11. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hello again. i think container gardener would have been a good name for you. your peppers are brilliant. wow, how is it that your bhut jolokia seeds sprouted in two weeks. i have been using a seed mat however to no avail. perhaps i'm watering the seeds too much? i'm not familiar with tennessee cheese, however it sounds promising. i'd love to know how that turns out. i appreciate your advice on the lighting system. i'll look into it. thanks again.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Not sure - but they germinated in two weeks on two different occassions! Most of my pepper seeds sprout in about 2 weeks, so it really wasn't all that surprising to me. I didnt even know that bhut seeds were supposed to take longer - they just sprouted like normal along with all my other pepper seeds.

I love hollyberry shrubs though, and grow four of them outdoors, so I decided on 'hollyberry lady' instead. You're a right though - 'container gardener' would have suited me too.

Yes, I wil let you know about the 'tennessee cheese' as well. I can't wait to see how sweet they really are...

13. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

o.k. i've got to ask. what's your technique for sprouting pepper seeds. i use a seed sprouting tray with cover, sowed my seeds in peat pellets (heat mat in tow), water daily with flourescent light above. although some germinate initially, they seem to wilt and die within a few days, never making it to transplant. i'm holding on to my habarnero plant for dare life. lol, to coin a phrase. that's why i originally started looking for a well balanced soil or soiless medium. i refuse to admit to having red thumbs. :) i can understand your interest in holly trees. i have one that is over 10 ft tall. they're beautiful plants. good pick on name.

14. The Hollyberry Lady

I can't say that I do anything special really - soil-less medium or sometimes mirace grow soil, heat mat, fluorescent light, no cover, mist soil daily. That's it!

Sounds like the ones that are wilting and dying are experiencing 'damping off', where bacteria kills the seedling shortly after it germinates. Sometimes too, damping off viruses can kill the seedling as it is sprouting, so you never even see it come up!

Good luck with your habanero plant...

15. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

dampening off. i'll look into it. the good news is that my habanero is growing like a weed. i just potted up to a much deeper pot. your advice is much appreciated. by the way, i ordered some 7-pod pepper seeds, my next project. can't wait to get started. thanks again.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Well now I am very curious now - what exactly are '7-pod pepper seeds'?!!! Sounds very cool.

Yes, 'damping off' - an odd name, for a process where bacteria kills the seedling shortly after germination, or even while the seed is germinating, can happen despite our efforts, sometimes. Using sterile soil can definitely help matters. Good ventilation around your seedlings too, can ward off the 'damping off' process as well.

Also if your seeds don't come up, and you are suspicious, you should always change the soil just in case, instead of re-sowing more seeds in the same soil. You never know if 'damping off' processes are at work, so don't mess around.

I am really great at sprouting seeds, and can get even the most difficult seeds to sprout! This is why I usually know if seeds don't come up at all for me, it's either because they are seeds from a trade and could be relics, or because 'damping off' is at play. I don't deal with it too often, though - thankfully.

Wonderful, about your Habanero plant! I bet you are so excited! I'd love to see pics of it, soon. I have Habanero seeds too, a few different kinds from trades, but haven't sown them yet. I have so many other things I am growing this season. Guess ya can't grow it all!

I do have two little 'purple cayenne' seedlings though, as well as red, that are really taking off now too. Plus I am growing 'gypsy' sweet peppers as well. Also, 'Aurora', 'little blue pot', and 'Fire Cracker' hot peppers!

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

lol. 7-pot/ pod peppers are said to pepper 7 pots of stew. they're extremely hot that originated from trinidad. they haven't been officially tested however they're said to rival the bhut jolokia. i have a small seedling for back-up until i fine tune my sowing skills. i also ordered a ring of fire cayenne pepper seedling. haven't seen the purple version of cayenne but it sounds like fun. i'm not familair with the trade system. however i can send you a few seeds if you like. i read somewhere that the peat pellets aren't always recommended for seed starting as they can harvest fungus. so my next step is to purchase a sterile seed starting medium and use the plain seed starting trays. that reminds me, i haven't checked back on my order of promix. i wish not to lose any more precious seeds. sorry, i keep forgeting to take pictures. it may take me some time. how would i upload?

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I am presuming you are interested in some of my purple cayenne seeds? As they were given to me in a trade, I do not have any extras just yet. However, as soon as fruit produces I intend on collecting hundreds more! If you remind me, I will gladly send some your way, and we can do a trade then, if you want. I should have a lot more seeds in late summer.

Also, I did so many trades over the winter, on this forum as well as another, that my trade supplies are a bit low, until I replenish them. Even now, I am still involved in seed exchanges! I love it, but it can sure keep ya busy.

As far as pictures go, I just click 'go advanced' then click the 'image' icon, and it uploads them from there, directly from your picture file. It's pretty easy. Any serious problems, you can also contact the forum for further assistance.

The 7-pod peppers sound very neat. Love to trade some for the purple cayenne. Hope to see your pics soon. Good luck.

Yes, the peat pellets are probably why you experienced 'damping off'. I bet your pro-mix will be much better...

19. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hello again. i'm up to my ears in plants right now. i may have overcompensated. :) spent most of the day, transplanting up, not to mention a friend is helping with landscaping. i've been doing one side at a time. i'm beat. anyway, although i was asking about how the trade system works, i don't mind dropping a few 7 pot/ pod seeds in the mail. let me know. it's my way of saying thank you. pebblesldr@gmail.com i found out that i maybe waiting another month for the promix, so i cancelled. i've been using a local organic/ miracle grow cactus medium (a contradiction?... lol) and fertilizing with fish emulsion and kelp. good stuff. i'm thinking of pre-soaking my pepper seeds prior to planting. but i must admit, i don't think i can handle much more plants right now. i may have picked up an additional one or two. :)

20. The Hollyberry Lady

I sure know what it is like to get a little over zealous, when it comes to plants! I always sprout way too many seeds!

I am sending you an email - so nice of you...

21. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

hello hollyberry, i sent you some seeds on friday as a special thank you for all your help. hope they sprout. a trade isn't necessary. post a pic if successful. good luck. and thanks again.

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Thank you Sandpebbles! Although a trade may not be necessary, I would like to share some of the purple cayenne seeds with you when I have harvested some. As a matter of fact, my plants are now beginning to set fruits, so I should have some seeds available very soon!

Pictures? Are you kidding me? I am the queen of pictures! I will be sure to post some, yes. Can't say for certain if I will be growing your variety this season or next, but will definitely be trying it at some point. I grow peppers and tomatoes all year round, so I may even grow it indoors over the Winter under my HID Halide lamp.

Thanks again for the seeds - I'll be in touch about the purple cayenne...

P.S. Here is my little 'trifetti variegata' hot pepper plant from a trade with someone in Portugal! The fruits start out yellow, then get a tinge of purple, then orange, and finally red...

Attached Files:

23. sandpebbles

sandpebbles Member

you're welcome hollyberry. i think you have the right idea. one can never go wrong with tomatoes and peppers. nice collection you have. yes, i need to start planning for my over winter garden. :). winter harvesting. now that's cool.

24. The Hollyberry Lady

Today I noticed the 1st little purple cayenne pepper fruit on my little plant! I will have seeds soon...

Thanks for the compliments!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi SandPebbles!

I just took these shots today, to show you two of the pepper varieties you will soon be recieving from me!

: O

The first shot is the Tennessee Cheese sweet pepper, that is said to be as sweet as candy. Notice they are round peppers?!!! Can't wait for it to get bigger, and turn red!

The 2nd peek is the purple cayenne! It's nearly black - so cool, huh? I am so excited to taste them both.

I will be saving you some very fresh, and extremely viable seeds from inside of both of these fruits, very soon. So exciting, huh?

Attached Files: