Container Bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by marjmy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. marjmy

marjmy Member

Hello \,
    I have a Pyyllostoacbys aurea (Golden Bamboo) in a wooden container, I am concerned about the winter is there something I need to do to this plant. IE: move it (it is heavy) cover it (with what). It did survive last winter but I did end up dragging into the garage. Maybe it is hearty enough to leave outside the only think is it does face the east and will get a direct hit from the winter winds. Any suggestions???
    thanks in advance
    Marjorie

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Golden bamboo is hardy to @ -18C; it is widely planted around the Lower Mainland, with a number of mature groves that have done well for many winters, and a number of large containerized plantings. So...long and short of it is: you should be fine leaving it outside. The winter winds in Chilliwack can push the wind chill temp. lower than -18, but this shouldn't affect the roots; worst case would be burnt/dead leaves, and these will renew themselves in the spring. You might want to give it a good mulching with wood chips to protect the shallow roots, but that's about it.

3. marjmy

marjmy Member

Thank you,
    I do have one more question, regarding the watering in the winter, do I still water when it is not freezing as it can get very dry, or do I let nature do it course?
    CHeers
    MArjorie

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

If it's outside, and somewhat exposed, you won't need to water in the winter as rainfall should be sufficient, and mulch will help keep the soil moist. Winter water needs are minimal (for an outside plant), most water is required during shooting and active growth in the spring/summer. Generally, bamboo will curl its' leaves when it's water stressed; so long as this isn't happening in the winter, hold off on the watering.

5. bambooman

bambooman Member

Bambooman here I grow lots of bamboo in pots outside. My suggestion would be to wrap the pot with a few layers of bubble wrap and mulch it heavily. I've been growing outdoors in pots for 7 years and have never even lost one cane. If you can keep the pot from freezing you will have your best chance at survival. Trust me the bubble wrap will make a huge difference in the hardiness of your plants. And if you could move it up against your house this will give it extra protection so much so that you may not even lose any of it's leaves. Hope this helps.