Concord Grape Cutting

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by dkozlowski, May 2, 2020.

1. dkozlowski

dkozlowski New Member

Greetings,

Novice here. I have planted 10 fruit trees over the years and have had success.

I am located in western NY and we have had a colder than usual spring. I ordered grape cuttings from Stark Brothers and they arrived in late March. They arrived bare root, with no foliage. I took care to prepare and planted them as directed in late March.

It's now May and I have seen no evidence of new growth. They look the same as when I planted them. Just sticks in the ground. When should I throw the towel in? What temperatures do they normally begin to grow?

Best,
    Dave

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Hi, Dave!

I think that your climate in NY is still warmer than here (Tallinn), despite the colder than average spring you mentioned. And buds of the grape should be large now, if not sprouted already.
    I took some cuttings (without any roots) last autumn from a new to me grape cultivar of my neighbour and dug them into my cold greenhouse for wintering. And they have nice large buds now. Still no roots though, because it was too cold already for root growth, when I took those cuttings. But vine cuttings are usually very tough and viable, quite often old vine branches, cut out in the autumn when preparing plants for winter, start to grow in spring even if they are not planted into ground, but just left into pile to wait for spring.

3. dkozlowski

dkozlowski New Member

What a bummer. Well, I truly thank you for the response and information. Looks like I will need to look for replacements after all.

Kind Regards,
    Dave

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  5. dkozlowski

dkozlowski New Member

Well that gives me hope. You folks are great on this message board. Thank you so much. I’ll keep you posted as time goes on. It has been a really chilly spring for us but these last few days have warmed up.

Cheers!

6. dkozlowski

dkozlowski New Member

Good news. It seems......and I use that term cautiously.......that they are just starting to bud. It's just been such a long cold spring for us. For example, it was below zero last night and will again be that way this Friday. I'll keep you posted, though. This is very exciting. :-)

wcutler likes this.
  7. dkozlowski

dkozlowski New Member

Just wanted to say that they are all coming along nicely, barring one. Thanks again!

wcutler likes this.