Colchicum feinbruniae

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by cloudy, Nov 19, 2009.

1. cloudy

cloudy Member

hi
    a beautiful fall flower - the Colchicum feinbruniae is named after Naomi Feinbrun-Dothan - one of the leading botanists of Israel, and one of the authors of the "Flora Palestine" - you can read a little about her at http://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/feinbrun-dotan-naomi

family: Colchicaceae
    the flower itself is quite big, and the design on the leaves is very special. it is endemic to the region.
    photos taken on October 2009 and October 2008, in the Golan Heights.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Very nice Cloudy, thanks for showing, interesting. I understand there is also a white form of Cyclamen coum endemic to the Golan Heights. Katalina, just curious , how do you or the Alpine Garden Society class an alpine plant ?

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Quote from The Botanical Garden. Philips and Rix.

" The underground ovary, which only comes up above ground as the capsules ripen, is found in several genera in different families in the Mediterranean area, South Africa,and the Andes."

Interesting. I never knew that!

4. johnnyjumpup

johnnyjumpup Active Member

Beautiful photo and plant. I love the tessellations (if that is the right word) on the petals. Gorgeous! Looks similar to the double C. "Waterlily" but I don't think W has the lovely markings on the petals.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. cloudy

cloudy Member

thank you! :-)