Clubmoss a Big Success!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Barbara Cameron, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

I've been growing clubmoss for a couple of years now and I wanted to show you the photos from "then" and "now".

Attached Files:

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

What a success story - congrats! How does it withstand our wet winters and droughty summers?
    Margaret

3. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

OK. Don't tease, give me some clues. I have tried to grow Selaginella a couple of times & failed.

gb

4. Barbara Cameron

First to Margaret,
    Who knows why it took off like it did??? I had some really tough times with this fussy plant, but now the entire 1/4 circle next to my gravel path is completely solid! I'm going to put together another video called "Small Space Garden - Year Two" that shows the entire 1/4 circle at the beginning and upload it to YouTube. If you are interested I'll send you the URL when It's done. I don't have time right now to put it together, but I'll get to it sometime.

Second to glass brain,
    I took the really yucky looking plant (the first photo) to Garden Works and they told me first of all that my soil was fine. I had always thought that the soil was my basic problem. Not so! The "expert" at Garden Works told me to work in some Peat Moss. Yes, Pet Moss. This was the last thing I thought we needed in our wet climate. Over time I would take bits of the plant that had wandered into other places and put them in the bare spots. And then this year I've given it 20-20-20 about every 3 weeks. Now it's all done and hanging over the curved black, plastic border gizmo. Just beautiful. It's suppose to be Evergreen in a mild climate, so we'll see if it is.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

That would make sense. Bogs are one of the favourite habitats for clubmosses, as well as the floor of coniferous forests. So, I think I will try something along those lines. Maybe grow it under my blueberries, which like it acid too.
    Thanks.

gb

6. Barbara Cameron