climbing rose & Salix matsudana curly willow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Candy McKivett, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Candy McKivett

Candy McKivett New Member

can these be planted together?

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    i am not a rose expert

however I have experience with curly willow

I have a few thoughts

think twice.

do you have deer?

are you in shade in sooke?

do you have limited water in summer (willow like water)

where is your septic system and fresh water pipes in to your property (your house)

be very careful - that willow will be a possible expensive repair on your property

also - curly willow is short lived (as are many poplar willow that grow so fast)
    so the rose can live 40 years - and the willow is falling apart literally by 40 --- so it is not a good combo in my opinion

all this said - I love curly willow - I like to use it in casual english style floral arrangements etc

so I have a huge plastic planter full of rain water - and i grow branches of willow and use for flower arrange etc

it would likely help the rose people on this forum if you name the one you are consideringg

there was a recent thread about a good climbing rose for Maple Ridge BC I think. You can find it on this site.

3. Candy McKivett

Candy McKivett New Member

Thanks for replying! My responses inline below

do you have deer? --- Of course! Yard is getting deer fenced this spring

are you in shade in sooke? --- Only partial, yard has afternoon sun

do you have limited water in summer (willow like water) --- Area is next to veggie garden so gets watered and the park that borders the yard on that side has a the small swamp.

where is your septic system and fresh water pipes in to your property (your house) --- On sewer, not near the garden, garden is in the back, no pipes

be very careful - that willow will be a possible expensive repair on your property --- nothing is near where I want to put them

also - curly willow is short lived (as are many poplar willow that grow so fast)
    so the rose can live 40 years - and the willow is falling apart literally by 40 -- so it is not a good combo in my opinion –-
    I bought the willow last year, it has been in a pot on my deck, but I need to put it in the ground. I doubt I’ll live another 40 years

all this said - I love curly willow - I like to use it in casual english style floral arrangements etc –- me too!

so I have a huge plastic planter full of rain water - and i grow branches of willow and use for flower arrange etc –- sounds lovely

it would likely help the rose people on this forum if you name the one you are considering –- I have ordered Joseph’s coat from Dinters, just called a climber, no other name listed. I am wondering if they could be planted close enough together so the rose could climb the willow.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes Dinters plant nursery is a long time institution

How about you ask Dinters

Does one have to prune climbing rose to tidy it up? I ask cuz a full curly willow is a mass of twiggy branches and I can imagine it’d be difficult to detangle a solid thorny rose cane.

I certainly like having a clematis (one that’s an old reliable name) climb through some of my smaller deciduous trees (eg acer circinatum, a native maple)

That said - clematis like consistent forest soil that’s not too wet or too dry ... and their roots in shade undisturbed