Clematis

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by bpither, Aug 5, 2020.

1. bpither

bpither Active Member 10 Years

Picture taken August 5th 2020 in White Rock, BC. I don't know if this is normal but this clematis was blooming beautifully from the beginning of June until about a couple weeks ago and now the leaves appear to be dying off. Is this normal? Is it diseased? Can I cut it right back to within a foot above the container and it will grow back normally next year? A local gardening shop suggested this would be no problem but that was seven weeks back when the plant growth was vigorous. I'm just not sure if it's healthy now

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Which clematis is this? Do you still have the label ?

The big major « must » for a clematis is
    « Feet in shade, head in the sun »

Imagine how their wild cousins grow up the mountains - above Penticton, or Kelowna, for example (alpina blue)

People plant clematis in hot sunny spot or pots which get hot and dry and then overwatered ... the result is often sad.

I think find out your plant name

And assess planting (shade feet - basically if you can grow a fern that looks great on Aug 05th summer day drought - then that is a good clue regarding where to plant your clematis

Some people do adhere to the « pruning type » so that is why name would be helpful and you can look it up (often the label says to effect « pruning group «

Meanwhile - Clearview out in Langley / Aldergrove is where many clematis that we’d buy at retail in BC come from. Currently I am quite tempted by the Vancouver Series

There is lots of helpful pruning info here too.
    Exclusive Genetics - Clearview Horticultural Products

Édit - is your post in June connected ie same plant?
    Clematis Pruning

3. bpither

bpither Active Member 10 Years

Georgia Strait" is your post in June connected ie same plant?"

I am indeed

In June Rob from Clearview sent me a message as to the Clematis variety
    The white looks like snow queen the red looks like Ernest Markham
    Don’t worry too much about pruning instructions published .
    You won’t hurt the plant you may just affect the bloom time.

As you may recall Rob said I could cut it back to within a foot of the container after blooming or in January for a later bloom. The roots are in shade and the rest of the plant in sun. I might have over watered it during the present heat spell. My bad. Think it will grow back ok next year?