"Christmas"/Crab Cactus -yellow/white leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sherlock007, Dec 9, 2007.

1. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Husband's little cactus has sickly looking (but not shrivelled) whitish/yellowish leaves with purple coloured main 'vein' up the middle (but not all over the plant). Is in a bright, northern window at work, regular winter darkness, doesn't appear over-watered, not rotting or soft at base. Can't find reference on net to leaf colouration. Never had problems w/ mine at home. Help please? Thank you!

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

It's hard to know for sure, but if it's not overwatered, or a possible fungus problem, it could be that the soil has been too dry for too long between waterings.
    When you water, water well and let the soil pretty much dry between watering. Overwatering can cause the same symptoms in plants, and rotting of the stem could follow.

3. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

How close is it to the window? It might have got nipped by a bit of frost. Other than that is it possible it got bumped and broke some roots?

4. sherlock007

sherlock007 Member

Dear Blue Wing & Rhynno: Thank you for your replies....I am suspecting overwatering now, as my husband tells me he waters it weekly!! (told him not to). It is not too close to a window and otherwise should have good conditions. Will pot it up fresh for him with strict 'watering' (non-watering) instructions. Thank you!!

5. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Good luck :)