Chilli Flowers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by rebscott, Apr 17, 2006.

1. rebscott

rebscott Member

Hi, can anyone tell me when chillies normally start growing on a plant, is it true that they start growing after the flowers bloom?

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The chilli pepper is the fruit of the plant. So the plant needs to flower, the flower gets pollinated and then the friut forms. Is that what you were asking?

3. rebscott

rebscott Member

I think so! My chilli plant is flowering at the minute, think I read somewhere that when the flowers die, the chilli peppers start to grow, that is what I was asking!

4. globalist1789

They NEED to be pollinated for there to be peppers, the fruit won't happen otherwise.

5. rebscott

rebscott Member

Sorry to sound thick but how do I pollinate them? Desperate for chillies to grow!

6. globalist1789

Well, I guess they are inside at this time of year. Normally bees to it outside. There are sprays that you can shoot into the bloom; you get them at garden stores. If you don't have many then just take a feather and tickle inside one flower, then move to the next, and the next, and the next... goes pretty fast.

7. rebscott

rebscott Member

Could I use a cotton bud to polinate them?

8. globalist1789

I don't see why not so long as it's not too big and your touch is soft enough.

9. apabal

apabal Member

i have a chilli plant in a container and it has lots of flowers.i now have 3 chilli peppers in it. i did not do anything at all to pollinate. As you have mentioned the flowers dried and then a chilli came out of it..