Identification: chanterelle

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by sulaco2d, Aug 31, 2003.

1. sulaco2d

sulaco2d Member

Is this mushroom a chanterelle?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tough question. Do you want to know if they are chantrelles and are therefore edible? Or do you want to know if they are chantrelles for personal curiousity?

I'm going to preface my comments by saying that if it is for edibility reasons, then you will need to post more information (and we'll have to find a mushroom expert to answer) before we can say anything with any certainty.

That being said, it appears to me to be a chantrelle, at least from the gills and stalk. I'm a bit less convinced that it might be a chantrelle based on the surface and uprolled edges of the cap.

I've looked through the book "Mushrooms of Western Canada" by Helene Schalkwijk-Barendsen, and can only say that a chantrelle is one of the possibilities (of a half-dozen or so). Her advice for chantrelles is this:

"Superficially, the chanterelle looks like a gilled mushroom but on closer inspection (by cutting across the top) folds can be seen rather than gills."

What I would do as a next step is buy some chantrelles at a grocery store, follow the directions above and then compare both the wild and the store-bought. It wouldn't be 100% confirmation, but it would rule out a lot of other possibilites.

3. cliffordwalton

cliffordwalton Member

i would say that they are chantrellse they are nto all pretty little muchrooms they are easily manupulated to different shapes casue of sticks and trees that hold them down id take a bit and see i f you can tase the nutty taste cause i know from all the mush room s i have picked that tehy are chantrelles someone migh tnot agree with my but i have pics of mushrooms that are as big as my hands and are all sort of shapes eat them and enjoy them ther are very good to use with seafood dishes

4. ColoradoMushrooms

ColoradoMushrooms Member

The sure look like em to me. You cannot always tell from a simple picture, but they probably are. What do they smell like? Are the fruity like apricots? Golden Chantrelles many times smell like that.