cardiocrinum bulblets

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by fiddick, Jun 7, 2006.

1. fiddick

fiddick Active Member

My cardiocrinums are going to bloom soon. I'd like to start some new plants from bulblets after the main bulbs die. How does one go about this? Does one just leave the plants be or does one have to dig up and redistribute the bulblets? If the latter, then when? Will there invariably be bulblets, or only if I'm lucky?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

cheers, Larry

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Larry,

From this site:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Cardiocrinum+cordatum
    Newt

3. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Personally I have had nil success from Cardiocrinum seeds on 3 different occasions , but IF you want to try them , plant them along side the new group of small bulbs . When our first Cardiocrinum flowered 3 or 4 years ago we dug up the old area then separated and redistributed the small to medium sized bulbs . The larger bulbs should flower within 3 to 4 years and the smaller ones will take a bit longer . To make a long story short , 2 original bulbs have multiplied into at least 20 + so far . In our geographic area some of the larger lilium hybrids will grow much taller and grander than the " Giant Himilayan Lilies " PLUS the hybrid lilium plants have a much nicer flower .