Can anyone identify this maple???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by interactbiz, Sep 17, 2008.

1. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

this is a pair of maple trees on west 11th a block and a half west of oak street in vancouver. it's a very interesting maple as you can see in these photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Variegated sycamore maple.

3. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Wow, that's beautiful...anyone know what its zoned for?

4. interactbiz

We now think this is a sycamore maple named Pseudoplatanus Leopoldii. Vancouver is zone 7-9 on the USDA scale. One source reports the Leopoldii is hardy to zone 5

Barcham Trees (UK) website says:

A really eye-catching sycamore cultivar.

First grown in the 1860s, this sycamore is a medium to large tree with a rounded habit. The leaves begin yellowish pink turning green later and splashed with yellow and pink.

It tolerates air pollution and thrives in most soils, and is particularly useful for coastal sites where it can make an effective defence against strong winds and salt-laden air.

Mature height: 15-20m

5. Ron B

There have been multiple variegated introductions of sycamore maple, I would research carefully before settling on a name. More recent maple monographs like Van Gelderens, MAPLES FOR GARDENS (Timber Press) illustrate and describe different kinds.

Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (Ten Speed Press) lists one* I spotted in Ladner, BC under the umbrella term f. variegatum.

*Measuring 70' x 10'2" x 75' in 1994

6. interactbiz

Thanks Ron B

You are certainly correct that a number of cultivars exist and the variations can be significant. Probably doesn't matter if its only a matter of leaf appearance. But, if the tree one expects to max out around 15 feet actually wants to grow 75 feet high, that's likely a major problem.

Variation even within cultivars is troublesome. We planted our Acer Pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum about a decade ago after reading about it in a book by Steve Whysall, Vancouver Sun garden writer. It has been an excellent choice but I'm now worried that it will grow too large for its planting spot.

7. Ron B

Apparently more vigorous 'Prinz Handjery' has been sold in its place. Yours doesn't have purplish leaf undersides, does it?

8. interactbiz

I note that Mendocino Maples Nursery suggests the Prinz H will be about 15' after 12 years and that Brilliantissimum will grow to 8'. Size of mine does indicate P-H but I don't recall seeing any purple leaf coloration. It doesn't get much sunlight and even the pink turned green quickly this year. Lack of purple may result from low sunlight. I attach photos of new leaves. Quite pretty.

Regardless, the tree may have to stay an acer pseudoplatanus brilliantissimum because I've learned to spell that name and am not sure I can handle a different one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

I'm zone 5...wonder where I might find one...

Size isn't really an issue for me, we have 12 acres to plant it on and if I could get one to grow to 75' it might just be visible among the enormous pines, firs and tamaracks we have on our place!!

10. Ron B

'Prinz Handjery' is the one with purplish undersides. If yours doesn't have them it's not that one.

11. interactbiz

I have spotted another maple similar to the maple in the original post that is located on glenmore drive in the British properties of west Vancouver. there is also one of these trees on the south east corner of broadway and renfrew.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008