Identification: Brown hairlike fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Jun 23, 2007.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I've an image of a type of fungi that I'm having extreme trouble finding a name for. It's a brown hairlike sort that is growing on trees in a damp undergrowth in Kansas. I've images if someone would like to see to help identify. Thanx in advance......C.Wick

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Brown Threads

These are two images of the 'threads' I found....two different areas. One is darker then the other...and even looks 'softer' or even almost 'see thru'. Any ideas of what this is would be wonderful. Thanx C.Wick

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Brown Threads

Looks like some spectacular kind of myxomycete (slime mold).

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Definately...I've looked in so many places and asked so many locations if anyone knew this stuff........and BLESS you for finding it for me! THANX...and feel free. C.Wick

7. cawesjmu

cawesjmu Member

I realize this is super old thread, but I was searching for what this was called, and thanks to this thread, I now know what it is, but I'm also curious how to get rid of it. It's growing on one of my jalapeno plants, and I don't want it to kill my pepper plant. Thanks for your help.

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

It's growing ON you're plants? Do you have photos by any chance? Usually this sp. grow on compost or dead wood? Would love to see!
    Sadly, there's no real sure way to get rid of slime moulds...washing only spreads them, and picking the host only takes away YOU'RE plants. Possibly over-watering is doing the bad deed here...maybe drying the area more and removing any damp compost is in that immediate area? Replacing with a new fresh variety.
    Photos though...please? I'd love to see!

9. cawesjmu

cawesjmu Member

wow, thanks for the quick reply! It's definitely ON the plant as well as around it. Perhaps it's a different species. I'll snap a pic tonight and post. I believe you are correct with the overwatering idea though. I'll try and let it dry out a bit.

10. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

lol...I was posting images in the Photo share area on here of slime moulds that I've just found this week when I saw you're comment.
    Would be GREAT to see an image...there's a couple different species of the Stemonitis so maybe it's another variety of then what I see?

11. cawesjmu

cawesjmu Member

Here's 3 pics. If they don't work or are too small to see, check here or here. Sorry about the poor lighting. I think the one with flash provides the most contrast and clarity but poor color.

Attached Files:

12. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Fasinating! I've never seen it grow on living plants at all....
    Let me do some research and I'll get back to u ASAP

13. cawesjmu

cawesjmu Member

Thanks so much. I apreciate it and look forward to your research results.

14. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Ok...some info I found stated that:
    'Although many slime mold species fruit on wood
    they do not form a penetrating and absorptive mass of
    hyphae in the wood substrate....masses of protoplasm which can move and engulf
    particles of food in an amoeboid manner. Slime mold
    plasmodia creep about over the surfaces of materials,
    engulfing bacteria, spores of fungi and plants, protozoa, and
    particles of nonliving organic matter.'
    So maybe a possibilty here is that maybe dust or wood particles were on the leaves of the plants and the slime mould then attached to it to eat? I know it sounds like I'm fishing here (which I am) but this is very unique for me to see. I've been studying slimes now for over 2 years and this is definately a new site for me.
    However,
    If it helps? I think if u just change the multch, wash u'r plants and make sure to clean whatever u harvest from them you should be ok. They aren't eating living matter that I know of...but rather the remains of matter (the wood/dead leaves). Plus, I've never read or heard of anyone injesting or being infected, dying or other-wise from a slime mould.
    Hope this helped a little? :o)

15. cawesjmu

cawesjmu Member

Very interesting. I guess that's very possible that there was some residual mulch on the leaves. It's been clean and growing for the last month or so. Maybe when watering it knocked some mulch on the leaves too. From what I read though, I shouldn't be worried about the mold hurting, damaging or killing the plant itself? Would it be advisable to change the mulch or will it die out/go away if it dries out? Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

16. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Slime moulds are truely fascinating creatures...in that sometimes they'll reappear...sometimes not? Sometimes they like the damp and sometimes they could care less.
    With this particular kind, I've noticed it prefers moisture and humidity. You're compost holds that in it's depths so probably attracts things like this....and even when THIS one's life cycle is over you may still get a reaccurance? Or...maybe not. :o)
    I honestly feel you should probably remove it, and replace it. Make sure to spray you're plants down in the old mulch also? So any spore left over hopefully won't be waiting for the new mulch to help it regrow.
    But again...I don't think you have to worry of it damaging you're plants. This particular slime mould is truely a wood eater and sometimes mulched/dead leaf eater. (u just have the luck to have an unusual living plant hosting kind) :o)

17. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

I think you might have Stemonitis splendens; the columella looks characteristic of that one. Slime moulds grow on all kinds of substrates, because they don't get their nutrients from what they grow on; rather they consume algae and bacteria on the surface that they envelop in their travels. I have seen slime moulds on living plants many times; I've also seen them on trees, leaf litter, dead wood and soil. As long as the conditions (temperature, humidity, food supply, etc.) are to their liking, they will slowly stream along, until they perceive a change (such as a lack of food) that causes them to either fruit or change into a dormant state called a sclerotium.

They are my favourite spore-bearing organism. Although I have a soft spot for the fungi, too.

18. FlantasticHerbs

FlantasticHerbs New Member

Help! Recently purchased a Brand new wood planter from Lowes along with a ton of new herbs (Spearment, Catnip, Lemon Balm and Greek Basil). Went out to water yesterday and found these little dudes all over everything:
    PicCollage.jpeg
    I know many of you wrote they are not harmful unless ingested. Well these are on edible plants so what should I do? Do you think it's the actual Planter or possibly the potting soil I used? Any help is greatly appreciated!