Blotchy leaves

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ronnnie C, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Ronnnie C

Ronnnie C Member

Hi, This year I have noticed blotchy leaves on two Katsura trees in containers. One is 5ft and the other is just a baby less than a foot tall. It is reminiscent of a viral disease but I'm not a maple expert yet and would be grateful for comments. Is it short of a nutrient perhaps? I would not have though so as I just bought the small one and potted it up.

Attached Files:

2. Ronnnie C

Ronnnie C Member

PS, I should add that I am not entirely sue that the big one is a Katsura. It looks to me like they grafted on the Katsura scion and then forgot to cut off the main stem of the root-stock once the graft was established.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Ronnie, first of all have you had a big white fly problem during the hot spell we have just had? If so this could be the start of Maple Mosaic.
    Secondly it could be Chlorosis, which means they are deficient primarily in iron. Often happens if the PH is too high.
    You say they are both in pots, do you water often with tap water? This can raise the PH. Also watering too often can leach esential nutrients out of the soil or compost very quickly. As it was hot last week, overwatering can produce the effect you are seeing.
    Thirdly, have you checked if there is still enough compost left in the pots? Sometimes compost literally disappears quicker than you think and the trees are left with nothing more than air and water to survive.

4. Ronnnie C

Ronnnie C Member

Thanks. Great reply. I've never seen a white fly on an acer, although there was plenty of blackfly on the mock orange. I think it is iron deficiency and the high pH in this hard water area. Also, I water a lot and go away for a week at a time. I was away that week that it was really hot and the wind was about 40+ miles an hour the whole time. When I got back the big Innazuma and Beni Komachi had shrivelled up. So naturally I overcompensated and they all got a very good soaking. Surprisingly 2/3 of Innazuma and 1/3 of Beni Komachi are re-leafing.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Ronnie, I live in a hard water area as well, so I harvest as much rain water as I can in the Spring with several water butts. Do think about that for the future.
    Even adding Iron now with still using hard tap water that raises the PH will not allow the maple to take in the iron.
    Using rain water then adding a little sequested iron will help.
    Do let the forum know you get on.