Blooming plants!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by James D., Jul 19, 2009.

1. James D.

James D. Active Member

Im very excited, some of my house plants have finally bloomed for me outdoors. it has been a very cool and rainy summer for us here and most things have yet to even set bud.Usually all my hibiscus,oleanders,mandevilla,plumbagos,etc.., are all in bloom but not even a single bud. Luckily my lantana,Gardenia,Duranta,Euphorbia,Tibouchina,and abutilons are all blooming. Here are some pictures, hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Gorgeous! I especially like the gardenia. Something about the juxtaposition of the deep shiny green leaves with the purest-of-pure-white flower just does somethin' for me.

My hibiscus (double-flowered salmony-pink) opened its first flower 2 days ago---has been unseasonably cool here of late. Hope this bodes well for yours!

Thanks, James! These are great. Many more blooms to you! (And, please, more photos for us!)

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Beautiful flowers James! I especially like the pink Euphorbia, (gotta get me a pink one) and the pink flowering plant after that one, love how it hangs downward, and the last purple one is fantastic!

4. kimberlyhope

kimberlyhope Active Member

Gardenias are such beautiful, graceful looking flowers. Great pictures!

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

Thanks everyone for the responses, the gardenia now has 4 open blooms and 2 more about to open. Its hard to believe I saved it from the dumpster! Its a 4.5' tree that was going into the garbage at work beqause it was covered with black aphids, I took it home and its doing great now. Bluewing, the pink one is an abutilon ( hibiscus cousin) they grow really fast and bloom all summer long. The purple one is a Tibouchina, very easy to grow, treat it like a fuchsia. Thanks again and I will be sure to take more pictures.

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

Here are 2 more plants that are finally blooming in my garden as well. The first is my solanum and the second i one of my anthuriums,and this is the first time I have ever got it to rebloom.

Attached Files:

7. Bluewing

Thanks, and very nice once again!
    I think we would all be horrified of what plants people throw away without even trying to save them, whatever the problem may be, big or small...

8. togata57

Beautiful! That anthurium is spectacular.
    Wish I could visit your shop! I'd be broke, but happy.

9. James D.

James D. Active Member

SO a few more things are teasing my outdoors by only having one flower ( or flower bud). The first is my Mandevilla, then yellow/red hibiscus, christmas cactus, then the large flower bud on my Sambac jasmine "grand duke". The last picture isn't a flower, but its of one of my alocasias, it came out variegated unlike all the rest. I thought it was interesting enough to add to the pictures. Hope you all enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. togata57

Jeez Loueeze, James!!! Jaw-dropping! Why isn't YOUR place featured on one of these public-TV gardening shows??? "And today we visit THIS man, who has singlehandedly created miracles of botanical beauty!" You should get a video camera and record a walking-through sort of tour of all your plants. Talk about something we'd ALL like to see!!! That would be just great---to see all these in context, "in action", like. To quote Pepe LePew: "Ahhh...the birth of a no-tion...!"

11. Bluewing

Great plants once again James! We just might hate you! Kidding....

12. James D.

James D. Active Member

Well thanks for the comments, and I won't be having my own T.V show. I do do garden talks for local gardeing clubs though, this October Im doing one about Economical gardening. Im also in charge of the gardening commitee of our condo corp, and do all the plantings around the grounds. So its almost as good as my own show. I can post pictures of my actual garden to if you would all like, its very, very small. So it does take many pictures to see the whole thing.

13. James D.

James D. Active Member

This is a un-named double pink hibiscus that is in flower right now and one of the many lemons on my Eureka lemon. My oleanders have begun to show bud, Im excited.

Attached Files:

14. Bluewing

Very Nice!

15. James D.

James D. Active Member

Here are a few more special things in my garden that are begining to bloom. The first is my "grand duke" jasmine, finally opened up. The next is my Plumbago starting to bloom, and the third is my plain ol' red hibicus. Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

16. togata57

Hey, James...there is nothin' PLAIN about it! Beautiful plants all.
    Much like the reaction inspired by hearing a piano concerto, or viewing a fine painting, or reading a cogent passage in a book---one gazes at your handiwork and feels 'oh yes! This is how it should be done.' Masterly. Thanks for letting us see your works of art.

17. James D.

James D. Active Member

You are very welcome, and the best thing about all of them is they are almost all rescue plants.

18. togata57

An inspiration to us all! You show us what can be done: you encourage us to think 'Maybe I could do this too!' Your fine work also reminds us to take the time to notice plants we might overlook, and is a demonstration of what beauty may arise from this attention.

19. James D.

James D. Active Member

its too bad you do not live close to me, i have about 50 plants that need a good home, I have a bad habit of rescuing way too many in the summer.

20. togata57

!!!! Wow! Well, I do drive a van...ooh, wish I did, too. This year I have not increased the numbers of my plants, but they have increased in SIZE. My hibiscus is about twice as big as it was! Have to build a greenhouse in the driveway.

How about it, all you Forum members up there in the Ottawa area?

21. James D.

James D. Active Member

You should give your hibiscus a good pruning and then make some more from the cuttings. You can always check with your local florists,nursuries and even home repair and grocerynstores for old plant that may be heading ( or in) the dumpster. they may give you a good deal.

22. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I agree, you do have some wonderful flowers:)

23. James D.

James D. Active Member

So this time I have my lovely Duranta to show you, then my double hibiscus "Mary", and finally my peach coloured Ixora. Hope you all evjoy, its finaly summer here and all my plants are loving it.

Attached Files:

24. James D.

James D. Active Member

Thanks, all my plants are finally coming along. The only sad news is that 2 of my Hibiscus were toppled over by animals and broke some stems. Both were grown from cutting from Rideau hall greenhouses and the one has never bloomed for me and this year was finally getting buds. The other didn't bloom at all last year and was in bud this year.

25. Bluewing

All are very nice! I really like your two toned double hibiscus "Mary".