Bitterroot (Lewisia rediviva) in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by vitog, Jul 11, 2022.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

On Saturday I was in the mountains east of Manning Park gathering morels in last year's Garrison Lake fire area when I came across some beautiful flowers on a ridge top so barren that it didn't even have enough plant material to burn. They looked familiar, and I identified them as Lewisia rediviva when I got home. I have a similar area in the lane border south of our new retaining wall. I was thinking that these flowers just might grow in this gravel-covered soil poor in organic matter. Has any member tried growing this species in the Vancouver area? Also, are there any local sources for seed? The Internet doesn't bring up anything except online sources.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Lewisia rediviva was on the AGC-BC seed list last year. I had one growing in a clay pot for many years but lost it in the heat dome last summer - perhaps I didn't give it enough water. I think it would grow well in the Vancouver area but might get lost planted in the open garden because it dies down completely after blooming.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

We have some plants growing in the cacti house that are protected a little bit from winter rain -- they've been there for years.

vitog and Margot like this.
  5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

6. vitog

Thanks, the sublinks in that link don't work for me; I could not see any Bitterroot flowers.

7. vitog

Margot and Junglekeeper, thanks for the information about the AGC-BC; I'll check out their sale next spring unless I find some seeds sooner.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's an old post, so modern browsers won't show the image unless you specifically click on the image. But no, that plant was from interior BC.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

At least during dormancy lack of water not a problem, in one recorded instance an herbarium specimen of some vintage grew when planted. So that I would think even being hit by heat in a pot while still in leaf - if that was the case with yours - would not normally kill a severe climate conditions adapted plant like this. With in fact the main problem with open garden cultivation in coastal BC being too much rain.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

So, if neither lack of water nor excessive heat killed my mature, dormant Lewisia rediviva, what did?